Newbie saying hi and asking for a little advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oakley

You haven't seen me.
Dec 31, 2003
Brighton England
Visit site
Firstly I would like to say hi to all of you at these forums and i wish you all a happy new year.

I have just brought my first tank (it holds 112 litres, sorry dont know what that is in Gals)
The substraite is Sand and i have planted about 15 plants of different kinds. Some bog wood and a coulpe of rocks that make a small "cave"

I Left the tank empty of fish for about 8 days and added a product called Cycle to start the ball rolling, i also treated the water to get rid of the chlorine etc.

I have added 2 silver sharks and a small catfish (sorry not up on the names just yet)

I tested the water with a kit that i brought at the same time as the tank..
PO4 levels were 2.5mg/l
NO2 levels were 1.3mg/l
NH3 levels were 0
NO3 levels were between 50 and 110/l
PH is between 7.5 and 8.0

Think that is about it,
Thing is, the retailer has told me to do a 10 day programe as follows..
Day 1 change 20% water do not feed
Day 2 do not feed
Day 3 change 20% do not feed
Day 4 Do not feed
Day 5 change 20% do not feed
Day 6 Feed
Day 7 change 20% do not feed
Day 8 feed
Day 9 change 10%
Day 10 Feed

I am a little worried that the levels are very high now and was just wondering if some of you could offer a little bit of advice to me as more peoples knowlage is better than just 1 persons.
Does the programe that he has set for me sound like a good idea?
Sorry for the long message and thanks for taking the time to read all of my ramblings :)

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
Well, for starters, 29g

Secondly, Silver shark is usually another name for Bala shark. Max size: 13" or so. Which is about as deep as a 29g is. I don't know how fast it will happen, but they will outgrow the tank.

As for the catfish... need to know a little more

Since I'm assuming the tank hasn't cycled yet, I would suggest you do 20% change every day, not every other day. Feeding is irrelevant. After 10 days, start checking for ammonia. If you get any, 20% water change. If not, you're probably cycled, switch to a more weekly change.

Oakley

You haven't seen me.
Dec 31, 2003
Brighton England
Visit site
Thanks for the info, i think i will go back to the shop and ask them to take the sharks back into their care, i would hate for them to become homless when they are older because i dont have the room for them.

Once again thanks for your time :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store