Weird Happenings...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
1. What is the size of your tank?

15 gallons

What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

API liquid master test kit:

Ammonia: .25-.50
Nitrite: 1
Nitrate: 10
(Clearly something is up!)
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

Freshwater

How long the aquarium has been set up?

Since July, yes, I did cycle

What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

4 goldfish, ranging from 1-2”, currently in the tank temporarily until they are bigger and I get them a 65-75g. I have had the 2 fantails since late July (rescues from my camp) and I just got 1 ranchu/lionhead and 1 ryukin yesterday from a reputable LFS.

Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
No

What temperature is the tank water currently?

64°F

Are there live plants in the aquarium?

No

What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

Whisper 10i internal power filter (HOB/HOT… not sure which, lol). It has a stocking around the intake so it doesn’t suck up sand into the impeller.

Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

Nope. (No heater b/c goldies are coldwater)

Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
Yes, it is near a window. I keep the lights on about 12hrs a day.

When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

I did a 50% water change yesterday, and 30-40% today. I change the water about 2x a week, and I always vacuum up what settles on the sand. I also changed out the filter cartridge because it was gross.

What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

I feed TetraFin sinking mini-sticks once a day. I feed about a pinch of it, and lately, my goldies haven’t seemed very interested in eating it.

What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

The past couple days my fantails have not been eating very much- they take a few bites and then lose interest. They have also started being less active. Yesterday, when I added 2 more goldies, they adopted the same lethargic/hiding behavior and I figured it was stress from the move. This morning I noticed that there seems to be something white-grey in color and kind of stringy on my ryukin’s head. I can try to get a pic but I don’t know how clear it will be. None of the other fish have this, although the ranchu has been swimming frantically around the tank. All of the fish hid under the filter after I did my water change.
Upon checking now, they seem better, and I can't see anything on the ryukin's head...:confused:

Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
No.

I would say that your cycle was thrown off due to the sudden increase in bio-load (new fish...small tank and filter). The overcrowding is my guess as to why your fish are acting weird. The stringy thingy...heh...could have been from your fish scraping its noggin and could have been just a flap of skin....don't really know with out pics.

I see you changed the filter cartridge. Those whispers don't have a lot of media for bacterial growth..changing out the filter probably put a huge dent in your bacterial colony thus affecting your cycle as well.

Just keep an eye on your tests, keep up with water changes 'til you can get that bigger tank and better filter. You could also track down a large rubbermaid tub to house them until you can get that bigger tank. You'll still need a better filter...and let it be nasty as long as it is not clogged...just rinse in old tank water when it get too glopy.

Hope this helps, I'm sure someone else will chime in with other suggestions too.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
64 degrees Fahrenheit? Is that really the temperature of your tank? It seems too cold for the fancies to me. Colder temperature makes them less active and it is likely one of the probable reasons why your fish are slowing down. Just because goldfish are coldwater by nature, it does not mean a heater is not permissible. Heaters can be used to keep temperature consistent. If it were me, I'd increase that temperature to 74 degrees.

With those water parameters you have, you may need to do another water change to bring it down. Check the gills if they remain deep red and well defined. Pale pink gills are a sign of ammonia and nitrite intoxication.

I would not buy any more fish. With four goldfish in there, you may need to do daily water changes or upgrade and rehome some of them to make maintenance much easier. When you plan to get more goldfish, I'd keep the new ones separated instead of cross-contaminating them with your older stocks.

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
I would say that your cycle was thrown off due to the sudden increase in bio-load (new fish...small tank and filter). The overcrowding is my guess as to why your fish are acting weird. The stringy thingy...heh...could have been from your fish scraping its noggin and could have been just a flap of skin....don't really know with out pics.

I see you changed the filter cartridge. Those whispers don't have a lot of media for bacterial growth..changing out the filter probably put a huge dent in your bacterial colony thus affecting your cycle as well.

Just keep an eye on your tests, keep up with water changes 'til you can get that bigger tank and better filter. You could also track down a large rubbermaid tub to house them until you can get that bigger tank. You'll still need a better filter...and let it be nasty as long as it is not clogged...just rinse in old tank water when it get too glopy.

Hope this helps, I'm sure someone else will chime in with other suggestions too.
Ok, thanks! :)

64 degrees Fahrenheit? Is that really the temperature of your tank? It seems too cold for the fancies to me. Colder temperature makes them less active and it is likely one of the probable reasons why your fish are slowing down. Just because goldfish are coldwater by nature, it does not mean a heater is not permissible. Heaters can be used to keep temperature consistent. If it were me, I'd increase that temperature to 74 degrees.
Ok, I have a spare heater I can put on.

With those water parameters you have, you may need to do another water change to bring it down. Check the gills if they remain deep red and well defined. Pale pink gills are a sign of ammonia and nitrite intoxication.

I did a ~60% water change and the fish are more active now. None of them were showing any signs of ammonia or nitrite intoxication- no red streaks or gills on any of them.

I would not buy any more fish. With four goldfish in there, you may need to do daily water changes or upgrade and rehome some of them to make maintenance much easier. When you plan to get more goldfish, I'd keep the new ones separated instead of cross-contaminating them with your older stocks.
I wasn't going to get any more fish until they have their bigger tank (and even then I may not add any). Looks like there isn't any fungus, but I guess I should start to quarentine (although I've never had a problem with this LFS, they are great). Maybe I will pick up a rubbermaid container for them soon, if I can't get their new tank quick enough.
Thanks for your help so far, I will update tomorrow. They are much more active now; I am going to start shopping around for a new tank or I'll get a rubbermaid container.

My goldies tank water is on average at 55-65 degrees (fall, winter, spring) during hot summer months, if they are still inside, tank can get up into the lower 70's. I just read the temp today, at lunch, and it was 53º

My fish are commons though...so maybe they like it cold...plus they are all born and bred in Western Montana (it's already snowing and freezing here)

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
Bad news... MY FILTER BROKE. Right now they are in there with just a heater and I do not have another (working!) filter to put on the tank. I have a LOT of homework tonight but I know i have to get the filter running ASAP... the soonest I can get a new one is tomorrow (and i don't even know if i can tomorrow) if i can't fix it.... what should I do in the meantime??

have you tried popping the bottom motor assembly out to check and clean the impeller? it might just be gunked up.. If not you can do a water change and they should be ok for the night. you'll have to do daily water changes...maybe multiple times a day... until you can get a new filter.
This could be a good chance to get a bigger filter too.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Bad news... MY FILTER BROKE. Right now they are in there with just a heater and I do not have another (working!) filter to put on the tank. I have a LOT of homework tonight but I know i have to get the filter running ASAP... the soonest I can get a new one is tomorrow (and i don't even know if i can tomorrow) if i can't fix it.... what should I do in the meantime??
Do you have a battery-operated airpump and a spare box filter to stuff the filter media in the meantime? I'd do that if I were you and place it near the heater to help disperse the heat. Spare batteries are also very important in case of emergency situations like this.

For now, I'd keep the filter medias in well-oxygenated water. Do water changes as necessary and monitor your water parameters until you get another filter. A spare filter will not hurt either.

Squabeggs is right. I'd check what is wrong with the filter as well. I also have that habit and once frustrated after trying to fix what was broken, I just throw it into the trashcan and buy another.

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
Sorry I haven't updated! This week has been insane.
I bought a new filter rated for about 20 gallons and I'm going to change the water and install it in a little bit. I made a makeshift filter from an air pump and filter cartridge in the meantime... the fish look really active and show no sign of ammonia poisoning, thankfully. Updates later tonight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store