Help! Fish Loss! =(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

often dignified

AC Members
Nov 11, 2003
Conneaut Lake, PA
I've had my Glolite Tetras for about a month and a half. Today, I scraped some algae, picked up some Ottos, and added some silk plants. Before adding plants, I washed them in warm tap water.

I got 3 Ottos, and they've been buzzing around and eating a ton. I've been watching the Tetras all night, they've been really active and swimming through the new plant and exploring around. I went to Walmart to pick up some burger buns for dinner... came back, and one of the Tetras was near the top, bobbing up and down and swaying from side to side. I gave the glass a tap and he swam away, but I knew something was wrong. I came back to the tank about 2 minutes later after putting food away, and he was dead. :(

I immediately did a test and I have:

ph: 8.2
KH: 200
GH: 200
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 25-30

The rest of my tetras are breathing fast... so I threw in an airstone hoping that it would help w/ oxygen a bit.

I did a 15-20% water change today with gravel vac. The nitrates are still a bit high, so I will probably do another one tomorrow. Last time I did a water change, I lost all of my fish. :confused:

Could my tap water be severe enough to cause this? I tested the tap and the KH, GH, pH are all the same.

I can't test ammonia... I got my test kit in the mail and what do you know... NO COLOR CHART :mad: I don't have access to even buy an ammonia test around here. But if my Nitrites are 0, wouldn't that mean ammonia would be near 0?

I'm using Wardley's Chlor Out

PLEASE HELP! :(

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
dont know what could have happened, did you try calling the test kit company to get a new one? most of the kits its clear when you have no ammonia and turns yellower as the level increase. were the plants made for aquariums? just some tap water wouldnt have done that to them.

often dignified

AC Members
Nov 11, 2003
Conneaut Lake, PA
Yea they were Penn Plax silk plants...

the other 2 Tetras died, I even tried putting them in a big pot with completely fresh water. I don't know what's been going on.

Yes, they are sending me a new one... I did a test for the hell of it and it was slightly yellow, really pale, so I'm guessing that means a low amount? I have a Penguin 125... its a 10 gallon which I know can be hard to keep stable. But I thought the bio-wheel eliminates ammonia and nitrite by the amount of bacteria they hold?

Maybe fishkeeping just isn't for me :shake:

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
What company makes the kit? Maybe someone has that same test kit and can help you out with the color.

sumoschro

Gold Thunder
Aug 16, 2003
Portland, Oregon
yes i have the kit and would be glad to help. If the water is clear after you add the drops it means ammonia is at zero or very slight. pale yellow is between 2 - 3 ppm, which is a little much. try not feeding your fish for 24 hours and removing the excess food and waste, and that should clear up your problem.

hth:)

often dignified

AC Members
Nov 11, 2003
Conneaut Lake, PA
ok thanks... so you all agree that my ammonia is too high?

That's the last thing I thought it would be... I've been home for Christmas break and I've only been coming back to the apartment about twice a week to feed, and I only feed what the fish can eat in about 2 minutes.

I don't think I'm guilty of over-feeding? :confused:

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
One thing you didn’t mention is what you did/do to treat the water for your water change. Could the water supply company have suddenly started using chloramines? (If you've only come back to the apartment infrequently, did you run your tap water a while - I don't know maybe something from standing in the pipes?) You said you tested your tap water for KH, GH, pH. Try doing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests on your tap water, as well – it’s a place to start.

often dignified

AC Members
Nov 11, 2003
Conneaut Lake, PA
Wardley's Chlor Out says it removes chlorine and chloramine, so I don't think it's that...

and yes, I ran the water for about a minute before filling up the tank. I'm totally clueless here... :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store