Shrimp euthanasia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Now I know I'm going to get some suggestions for a pot, some water, a little cayenne, some lemon, salt and pepper....

I really do want to put this shrimp down humanely. This is a Red Claw shrimp, that appears to have gotten into a fight with a bigger Red Claw shrimp. His front legs are gone; so are his antennae, and the smaller appendages under his cephalothorax.

He's jut lying on his side with his little tiny swimming appendages going like crazy. I don't want him to be consumed slowly by other shrimp or snails.

If I put him somewhere safe can his claws and appendages grow back? I don't know how he would eat without his claws. He is listing to the side... about 45 degrees. I have him in a plastic breeder trap floating in my 10 gallon right now, but he can't get food into his mouth.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Aw, sorry for the little guy Mel! I know how you feel to see him like that. I don't know if anything will grow back but if not, I'd put him in a bag and place him quickly into the freezer. He'll go to sleep very quickly.

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
I used listerine to finish off my fish when I had one who was beyond help, should be okay to use with shrimp as well.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If it lives long enough to molt it will definitely regrow any lost appendages. I had a female Procambarus alleni Cray that within a day of being introduced to a male was in similar condition. I separated and hand fed her, and within 2 molts she was as good as new.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
They should regenerate. Do you have a breeder trap you could put it in? If it can eat it should improve at each molt.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
yuck... he's really big. I couldn't squish him.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Wow... I have him in a breeder trap, it would be so cool if I could save him.

I may need to hand feed him, but he may spaz out when he sees my fingers, do you think? What should I feed him? I have some brine shrimp pellets and veggie pellets from kensfish.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Both of course!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store