Lures for different species and different conditions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Hi there,
I know we all have our special lures we swear by
"If you're fishing for _______ this is the only thing that works! I swear it!"

So what I want to know is...what do you use?
Trolling? Shore fishing? Casting in heavy cover? What do you swear by and what do you catch with it?

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
If we get more than 40 replies I'll reveal my secret topwater lure:jaw-dropping:

svaha

AC Members
Dec 12, 2007
Venus ,Texas
stormmaile.bravehost.com
My favorite all around casting lure is a Mepps spinner.I have caught everything from bass to walleye.
I do enjoy worming for bass ,there I like a motor oil color with a chartreuse tail.
Fly fishing a rio worm , wooly bugger,streamer and of course a balsa wood popper is fun.
Musky or pike nothing beats a daredevil spoon.
Walleye I always did well with a hotntot and a mini fatrap.
sandbass and striper a sassyshad works for me.

Well there are a few of my favs.

GreenTerr0

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
i do a lot of bass fishing, heres one of my fav techniques.....

if im fishing for largemouth bass im gonna throw the jig or commonly know as "jig and pig" its probably one of the most difficult techniques to master but once properly presented it outfishes all other lures.

your setup is a crucial part of success though,youll need a medium heavy\ heavy rod depending on the cover your fishing and one atleast 7' long ( bait casting rod ) and a decent bait casting reel, as for line stick with braid because it has zero stretch and bc bass will often hit the bait on the fall youll want a line thats gonna keep you in contact with your bait... as for test, i like to stick with 40 lb for isolated structure and dock flipping, if your getting into some real heavy cover u can go as high as 80lb braid, usually 65 will suffice however.

now for actual presentation, youll wanna make "pitches" and " flips" to structure such as docks, rock piles, weed edges, weed patches etc... any kind of isolated structure is best, having electronics works easiest. once you find your structure pitch or flip ( instructional videos on youtube for flipping and pitching) to the structure and let the jig fall naturally, remember to keep a taught line to detect strikes, once your bait has made contact let it sit for a little then you can slowly raise your rod tip 5-6" and let it drop again, if no strikes, start again!

oh man its gonna be a long winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all you out there who can fish now consider yourself lucky!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
For me, I would have to say the "Kastmaster", with and without the bucktail. When most others fail me, I always revert to it and usually spook up one or two more. I have a selection of them in different weights.

If I go for "snapper blues" I use that until they slow down and then switch to a "Snapper Popper". When going after Blues or Striper I use a Japanese made lure (name escapes me right now). The color and action drives fish wild!

Rollinondubz200

rollinondubz2002
Jan 13, 2009
Southwest Florida
zara spook is number 2 in my book for top water. snook/tarpon/redfish/ladyfish/trout

my fav bait of all time is any of the Sebile Magic Swimmer any color and the stick shad any color (but best is blood red).

3D Minnow 100 / 3D Minnow 70 are a all around bait ive cought everything on them evin fresh water catfish. so it should work well for bass never tried tho

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
nope it's not a zara spook
agree with the pike and spinnerbaits
weird what fish will hit on sometimes...but if it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess

Pike I usually use a smelt coloured Husky Jerk 12'' and I've had 2lb pike hit it
when that doesn't work I'll go to a spinner cuz I know they can't resist it

Walleye I jig a 3-4'' Berkley Gulp Black shad minnow (since I usually river fish for eyes) and just drift it down the current or off to the side in any little pool I see

Trout I've had luck with #2 Mepps when other people haven't been catching fish with live bait or roe bags...the mepps always seems to produce

Thanks for the replies...good info

on a side note I just got a new KVD baitcaster 7.0:1 gear ratio
I can finally retire my Quantum XL500 or whatever it is...it's so ancient and it's missing like 2 oiling screwheads...I think it's time I put the old boy to rest

I can't wait til next year...I'm going into fishing withdrawals already

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
My favorite all-around is a 3" paddle-tail Bass Assassin in pumpkinseed/chartreuse. I've caught redfish, speckled trout, flounder, largemouth bass, channel catfish, crappie and goggle-eye on the same lure. I work it differently for different species. I have lots of hard and soft plastics in the box but always have the assassins in there.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store