Polarized glasses...do they work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Hi there,
I've been very interested in Polarized glasses for fishing since they came out...at first I thought they were another one of those "Wonder products" but they're still kicking around and they've come down in price A LOT!

I'm thinking of getting a couple pairs and I was wondering a few things:
1. Has anyone used them? Are they as good as they claim to be?
2. Glass or plastic lenses?
3. Which shades are best for which conditions? (I'm thinking of getting a pair that can be used in most conditions)
4. Which companies do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Taylor

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
That's all I use. Whether it is on the water or driving after a summer rain, it takes out any glare substantially. Of course, many mirrored sun glasses amplify the effect. My personal favorites are Costa del Mar (blue mirrored seems to be the best) and Kaenon. Both of those brands are top notch, IME.

shanefee

AC Members
Sep 6, 2007
If you are going to use them for fishing then you want the amber ones they do work they take the glare of the water and you can see most things under the water .

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
They work

Hi there,
I've been very interested in Polarized glasses for fishing since they came out...at first I thought they were another one of those "Wonder products" but they're still kicking around and they've come down in price A LOT!
You certainly have been waiting a long time, because I have been wearing polarized sunglasses for fishing for at least thirty years. I will not wear any other kind of sunglasses, for fishing or for anything else.
You don't need to spend a lot. You can find good glasses for twenty dollars or less. Plastic lenses are fine. Just find some that feel comfortable.

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
I got some prescription Oakleys with polarized lenses and I wear them more than I wear my normal glasses. They're awesome (and comfortable).

My suggestion for fishing is to get some that don't let light in from the sides. I had some clip on sun glasses but the light from the top/bottom/sides gave me a headache.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Excellent

I knew I would find some fisherman with experience using them to get a good and honest review before I go buying a couple of pairs

So the tan colour (Copper / Tan I'll call it) and the grey colour lenses work in most conditions?

Most of my freshwater fishing starts as early as 6:30am and as late as 4am sometimes...will there be any issues around dawn or dusk with these colour choices?

Edit: I forgot to say Thank you to everyone for their opinions and views...much better than taking the word of a salesman in BPS

And i'm only 26 lol
the first time I saw polarized glasses being advertised on a fishing show for the purpose of fishing exclusively ... hmm let me think

I think it was Bob Izumi maybe 12-15 years ago on his fishing show saying how "You can actually see the fish in the water...the structures and submerged weed beds"

and at the stunning price of $200+ I would have been saving my paper route money for a good 6-8 months lol

although I did save my paper route money for 6 months to buy my first bait casting reel which cost me $150 and tbh I still use the same reel to this day lol and I love it

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
If you're going to go, go for the good ones. I spent $450 on mine and it's one of the best investments I've made. (The lenses were a LOT of that price since they're prescription)

Dr. Awkward

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Texas
My polarized lenses are brown. I can wear them until it's completely dark outside. Grey is fine for daytime but I don't think they're as good as brown in lower light. Also, brown makes certain colors like red really pop, so you are more likely to see small flashes of color, like little fish. When my husband and I go to the mountains in Colorado he's constantly asking to borrow my glasses, even though they're my prescription, because you can see so much more color with them.

I LOVE them for rain driving. I used them once at the crack of dawn in pouring rain on a four-lane highway full of idiot morning drivers. I felt stupid at first because it was so dark outside but they cut right through the rain like it wasn't even there. Now I wear them whenever it rains and I feel much safer behind the wheel.

Do yourself a favor and get some wrap around glasses that block as much outside light as possible. It really helps. The only downside I can think of is that polarized lenses make tinted car windows and some reflections look like big rainbow filters. You get used to it after awhile but it's distracting at first.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I agree with the color choice of a shade of brown, or amber for fishing. I'm a licensed optician, actually. I love polarized lenses.

Gray can be the most comfortable for someone sensitive to light and is good for deep water fishing, but lake fishing would probably be better with a shade of brown.

Here's some info on color choices in polarized lenses:

Smoke (Dark Grey) - Reduces the maximum amount of visible light and allows for true color recognition. Good for bright sunny days and heavy glare situations. This polarized lens has its best use in driving, deep-water fishing, boating, and other everyday activities.

Caramel (Light Brown) - A lighter shade of Chocolate, Caramel improves contrast and depth perception. This polarized lens is good for partly sunny to very sunny days.

Copper (Copper) - A reddish brown color, this color maximizes contrast making items brighter. Ideal for any application where good visual acuity is crucial. This polarized lens is great for fishing, golfing, and driving in varying conditions.

Chocolate (Dark Brown) - Provides excellent contrast and improves visual acuity and depth perception. This Chocolate colored Polarized lenses reduces blue light and is good for highly sunny and varying conditions. This lens is the best Polarized lens for driving, golfing, and shallow water fishing.

Sunflower (Yellow) - Provides maximum light transmission of any polarized lens. Increases contrast and filters out some blue light. Polarized lenses are used in low light conditions such as overcast or cloudy days. Popular among shooters, hunters, skiers, and good for driving in low light situations.

Sorry for going off on the subject.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store