lost wen

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AngeloG

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Hi all. Can Anyone tell me what would cause my lionhead to loose his wen.? Is there anything I can use to help it grow back? Can it even grow back? I feed oranda gold. Hes about 4in and Ive had him for about a year. Thanx in advance.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Angelo, could you please provide us more details of this? Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH), tank size, tankmates, filtration system, tank maintenance regimen, foods being provided (aside from Oranda Gold that is), history of health issues and then photos are really needed. Photos are extremely important especially "before" and "after" shots. This is one way for us to point out what caused the wen to shrink. Without further details, then we may be unable to help rectify any possible issues that may have cause it. Does your fish have any unusual symptoms aside from shrinked wen?

A shrinking wen may indicate inadequate nutrition if all you have been feeding him is just Oranda Gold although this seems oddly the opposite since Oranda Gold is supposed to encourage the wen growth and not vice versa but there could be something to that we may find out later. It could be a sign the fish is failing its health which is why I asked for the unusual symptoms that you may have observed aside from that.

AngeloG

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
Sorry. I shouldve provided more info. Its a 55gal, 2filters...a penguin and an aquaclear 300. Theres a heater jus incase it gets too cold. I know they dont need it. Its just a precaution. Theres other fish in there that were not affected at all. Im not newbie. The tank used to be a full brown reef for like 2 years. I do water changes and treat the water. I cant test the water right now because the test kit is at my girlfriends. We have a 37gal and a 10gal there.

AngeloG

AC Members
Jan 30, 2009
. Says that the wen gets eaten away but my fish didnt die. IDK. I didnt see any signs before it happened. I work long hours and my nephew sometimes takes care of my fish .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store