Two years with my cow fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
I've had my long horned cow fish now for two years, and I have to say that I really enjoy this fish - inquisitive and very interactive. It's the first one to the glass when I look in the tank......it even stays at the glass when my cats are enoying the view....and batting at it. :D

It follows my hand arounnd when I'm in the tank cleaning and scraping the glass looking for tidbits. I have learned that it has teeth...........I've been nipped a few times. It also likes to squirt water at me when I have the hood off.

The best part is when guests see the tank. The cow fish is always the point of wonder......"what the heck is that?"

I look forward to much more time with my little friend. It's been one of the best (most fun) fish I've ever kept.

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Forgive the flash glare..................and the dirty tank. Cleaning day is Saturday.

bettaobsession

AC Members
Jun 22, 2009
Awesome fish! Where can i get one?:grinyes:

stratusfearrr

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
awesome fish!

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Nice fish, how big is he?
He's about 3 1/2 " long. Eats everything I put in the tank, and is very docile. He does his own thing in the tank and bothers no other fish. He has eaten from my hand, but I don't do that very often. His teeth are sharp and he has drawn blood.

Prior to buying, I learned that cow fish can secrete and shed highly poisonous mucus that can kill an entire tank when they're under stress. I've never seen this fish even close to stressed. Even when I'm grubbing around the tank cleaning it, he just follows me around looking for a snack.

Bettaobsession,

I bought him from a LFS.

I wish all fish were this easy to keep and this fun.

fitz75

AC Members
Dec 23, 2008
CT
I've had mine for six months... his name is Otis. I love him, it really amazes me how this particular fish is very aware of what is going on outside the tank. He will follow me from one end of the tank to the other, and he waits in the corner of the tank when I go into the kitchen to get their frozen food.

I feed him from hand time to time, so now my fox face brazenly will try to take food from my hand as well... guess he figured out he's been a sucker all this time chasing after his food :laugh:

I found Otis in a LFS as well. I visited him every week for two months before buying him. I had to have him... to me it was worth the risk of losing the few fish I had. My powder blue tang that didn't approve of him at first, and would try to knock him off balance. (cow tipping if you will) But Otis eventually figured out how to out manuever to face him off and the rivalry soon ended. Everyone gets along fine and he definitely is the center of attention to our friends and neighbors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store