HOB Nitrate Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Well I decided to give "Pothos" a very common low light house plant a chance at being my new nitrate filter for my 60 tank. After replacing the cartridge filters and cleaning out the hob I rinsed off all the potting soil from the plant roots with warm water and separate the plants main stalk and roots. Then I suspended each stalk on dental floss attached to finisher nails in the drywall, this so that the roots would be just below the water line. Then I just fired up the filter allowing continuous water to flow preventing stagnation and rotting, at least that's the plan. Ill know in about a week which way this is going to go. The aquarium sits directly across from a window which I use to bring in light during the day. With my UV sterilizer running 12 hours a day algae has never been an issue.

froglover007

Obsessed 13-year-old
Apr 15, 2009
Alberta
That is a neat idea. Onion plants would work too if that doesnt work out.

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
Very kewl!

My wife loves Pothos (they overwinter in our protected garden here.) I showed her the setup of yours; she is already talking about trying this on her tank ...

Regards,
TA

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Well Im very glad to report that after just 4 days the Pothos has apparently reduced nitrates from 40 PPM to 20 PPM. No mistake about it and I specifically chose this tank becasue it had the repeated red nitrate test indication. So no water changes have been conducted so the new test sample is without a doubt conclusively orange.

I will make another report as to whether nitrates reduce further withing the next few days before the next water change.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Very good idea. I did the same with mine, but in our 1970s/80s era trailer there is practically darkness where the tank I put it sits. So, it was loosing color and had a few dead/dying/drying leaves on it, so I had to move it back closer to a window. And gave that particular filter to a friend (still have a canister on that tank). If I could, I would so put pothos back in the filter. It looked so cool draped across the glass top and over the side of the tank.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
ive heard of packing a crapload of hornwort works as a nitrate remover

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
UPDATE! results on Pothos nitrate HOB filter

Well its been a month since I switch from Hedra Ivy to Pothos plant growing in the water tank of my HOB filter. This aquarium always had the highest nitrates just before my bimonthly water changes and I can confirm with great satisfaction that not only is the Pothos growing well but this same tank now leads in the lowest nitrates. Normally 40 PPM Nitrates after 2 weeks without a water change is now registering 10 PPM nitrates.

So I will definatly be investing in a $5 Pothos potted plant that I will soil rinse and place bare root inside each of my other 4 aquarium HOB filters. These pis were taken today just before waterchange.

You will notice my 18W florescent light fixture turned upside down. I do this at night to augment daytime window and office lighting but becasue pothos is an extreme low light requiring plant, the extra light goes a long way in growing which translates into consumed ammonia and nitrates. Pothos is also extremely resistant to pest and disease, unlike my previous Hedra Ivy killed by micro leaf mites

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
Nice.
I bought about 20 Red mangroves and did the same thing. I just have a 23w CFL about 1.5ft above the groves. And most are starting/already growing leaves!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store