Clamped!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Well...looks like I jinxed Spartan. :swear:

He has been recovering nicely from the previous incident
see here
I noticed, the other day (10/14/09), that he was looking particulary grumpy and very clamped...

No flashing
Normal breathing
Just sitting...like a grumpy 5 year old with crossed arms...

Upon further inspection, it looks like he either has a very thick slime coat or a touch of fungus...hard to tell, and I can't get a good photo of it. So I did an immediate 75% water change and added salt back into the mix. (since he was in "recovery" I had been weaning him off of salt by not adding it back after water changes...so he should have been back to fresh water by now)
I also added a heater to the tank, as it has been very cold here and his water temp was down in the 50's...I have been gradually raising it...after 2 days it is now up to about 65º (on my way to 70's)

He already went 2 rounds with Maricyn II (see previous post) and I don't really want to subject him to that again if I don't have to. The other med option, that I haven't tried yet, are some Jungle Fungus tabs. I think I'll wait and see how the salt works first though. I'm thinking that he wasn't quite recovered enough and got a bit of a secondary infection going.

Hospital water checks out fine
ammonia = zip
nitrite = zilch
nitrate = 5ppm
pH = approx 7.8 ish

the one thing that changed was my LFS was out of stock on Prime :mad: ...so I had to use Aqueon water conditioner...which sucks IMHO (can you say foamy bubbles?)

They are all now back on Prime and I squirted all of the Crockueon down the toilet...condition THAT!:silly:

Just thought I'd update and see if anyone had any other thoughts/suggestions to add to my mix?

***If you don't want to read all of my run-on sentences, commas and ellipsis, it boils down to this.
-Water is fine
-Common Goldie
-Clamped fins (after 2 weeks of good recovery)
-Thick Slime Coat or Fungus (maybe)
-Back on salt water
-Try the Jungle fungus tabs (anti bacterial)?
-Other suggestions?

Thanks people!
(can you tell I'm bored at work on a Friday?)

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/skin_disorders.html

Here is my favorite site for identifying diseases. Have a look through it if you are bored at work again. What you are describing allows us to drill it down to a precise - something bacterial or parasitic according to this.

I'd take a careful look at the scales and see if it is Columnaris first though. If the scales are ringed it white its the culprit. This is a very tough one to beat if you can at all. It just keeps coming back.

Good luck and post a pick or two if you can.

Thanks for the link.
No white rings. Im thinking now that it was just some heavy slime coat. Couple of water changes w/prime and salt and he's lookin much better. Active and finned. Eating well.
Got the hospital stashed away in the corner and blocked off to ease any stress. Water temp is now at a steady 68º (seems comfortable, so I think I'll leave it there).

Eyeballs are peeled, watching for any other set backs.

Well....Spartan was reintroduced to the main tank again! He immediately began horn-doggin' Mrs. Fish who proceded to release a batch of eggs. All is well in the world once again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store