elephant nose

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Not the easiest fish to maintain in an aquarium. They only eat live or frozen whole animal foods small enough to swallow and they have a tiny mouth for their size. They're specialized for eating small aquatic worms. They're shy and can't be kept with boisterous tankmates.And they get about a foot long. Definitely not a beginner's fish.

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I was asking as I have one. I haven't noticed any posting about them (save from myself) since I joined Aquaria central. I would like to "meet" people who keep this very interesting fish.

I've had "Horton" for about six months now. Shy at first, but definately becoming more out-going...comes out during the daytime. Appears inquisitive and playful. Not afraid of telling the tank mates who's boss.

"She" has grown from about 4" to about 5.5". She loves her frozen bloodworms and has a very good appetite.

Anyone out there?

Nak

AC Members
Mar 18, 2009
It was a tossup between an elephant nose or a black ghost knife for me, both very unique looking fish with similar characteristics. I went with the black ghost though, the way they move is just hypnotising. I got him around 2 inches, he's now a tad over 10inches long =D

I still stand there and stare at the elephant nose tank whenever i walk past, but i just dont have the space for one.

Is your elephant nose very active? Or does he hide most of the time during the day? I ask this because my black ghost would never leave his log when he was smaller, but nowadays he's out and about ALL the time, swimming all around the tank even when i've got the lights on and windows open with the sun shining in. He's also learnt to swim out from the plants (which he's very fond of, i sometimes catch him lying down on the leaves, this is something ive never heard any BGK owners mention) when i tap on the glass to tell him that dinner is ready.

I dont know if elephant noses and black ghosts just become less shy and more tolerant of light as they grow up or wether i managed to train a ghost that loves the light :S
One thing i never did was feed my ghost in the dark, the light was always on during feeding which forced him come out and eat, maybe this had something to do with it.

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I'm so happy to hear from somebody who has considered keeping an Elephant Nose.

I, too, was looking at black Ghost Knifes as I love the way they move. Somehow I fell in love with the "Noses" instead.

I also feed with lights on. As the fish matures I've found that it becomes less shy and will come out during the day. Yes, Horton likes to play in the plants as well.

Horton has learned the sound of my foot falls. When I approach the tank she comes out to say hello. Looking for food no doubt. I have noticed that when others approach, she hides. So maybe there is still some shyness there.

I've heard that Elephant Nose fish are very hard to keep. As a new aquarist I don't quite know what to say. I have a very healthy fish that has grown at least two inches in the past six months, is becoming adjusted to daylight, and has a rampant appetite.

I really think that the whole issue on keeping one of these fish is simply feeding, and establishing habits.

Observe, and observe again. The fish will give you the clue.

Mark Hartill

Registered Member
Jul 4, 2016
I was asking as I have one. I haven't noticed any posting about them (save from myself) since I joined Aquaria central. I would like to "meet" people who keep this very interesting fish.

I've had "Horton" for about six months now. Shy at first, but definately becoming more out-going...comes out during the daytime. Appears inquisitive and playful. Not afraid of telling the tank mates who's boss.

"She" has grown from about 4" to about 5.5". She loves her frozen bloodworms and has a very good appetite.

Anyone out there?
I have 3 elephant noses in a 55 gal with 20 other cichlids around 4" long. They are 3-4". I put in food for cichlids, then lobster(forgot about that one), then some bloodworms for them. They also are eating left over flakes. Larger elephant nose chases off territorial cichlids who want to claim bloodworms. Maybe mine are special but very hardy tank mates and are active day and night. Recommend keeping at least 3 or more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store