My 5 gallon RCS tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beeZer350

Likes Expensive Hobbies :(
Jan 19, 2008
IMG000095.jpg

I added my shrimp on 10/7. This pic was taken with my BlackBerry so the quality isn't the best. I'll have more (better) pics up later this week.

Details:
5 gallon Eclipse
8 watts
~20 RCS (thanks snoopy65!)
sagittaria subulata
crypt wendtii
unknown crypt (back right)
anubias barteri
java moss
some guppy grass

Most plants were harvested from my 36 gallon tank. The crypt wendtii, java moss and guppy grass were supplied by snoopy65.

Moving forward:
Still trying to decide what fish to add if any.
Fish on my list are:
dwarf cories
white clouds
CPD's
neons
rummynose tetras
endlers
betta

Thanks for looking!

IMG000095.jpg

Mustang Boy

AC Members
Aug 6, 2008
Tampa,FL
nice tank though :)

i would say the betta would be a BIG maybe because depending on the temperament of the betta it might decide that his RCS are snacks

now i say the dwarf cory might work because they do stay quite small and i see them used pretty often in 5g tanks on different plant forums i frequent you will just have to stick with a small school of 5-6. Another suggestion would be maybe a few male guppy or male endlers(dont want females there will be a ton of fry)

i would also suggest tieing some sponge material to the intake of your filter otherwise any offspring from the RCS will be sucked up into the filter

beeZer350

Jan 19, 2008
That's my major concern with the betta and unfortunately you won't know until he snacks on a few shrimp.

If I find some dwarf cories at my lfs I may go for them. I'm also ok with mixed sex livebearers. Fry will either be given to the lfs, placed in my other tank or put up on here.

I actually placed some filter sponge inside the intake guard that way the aesthetics of the tank look clean and the shrimplets are safe.

Thanks for the comments.

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

beeZer350

Jan 19, 2008
hirschy75, I'm just using leftover background from my 36gal. I've heard users on here use many things for backgrounds, from painting the back glass to using those cheapo tablecloths to wallpaper. Its all in what you're willing to experiment with.

psyche, thanks for the suggestion!

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
great start! you might want to pump up the wattage a bit, those are low light plants but 8w might be a little too low. I love the rocks you chose.

I went with endlers in my 10g and they're great. Gorgeous little fellas. I started with both males and females but they were way too frisky and I ended up putting the females in a different tank and leaving just the males in with the shrimp.

keep us posted on what you decide :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store