Kordon Bags for shipping shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jacklmoore

AC Members
Sep 4, 2009
I mailed out 15 bags of shrimp today in Kordon bags, but 5 of them had to be replaced before I boxed them up because of leaky bags. Tiny pin-holes that would slowly drip water or would spray out a tiny jet if the bag was squeezed.

I had a similar experience last week - 3 or 4 leaky bags. I haven't been using them long, did I just get a bad batch of Kordon bags or is this common place? I have not been double bagging because it limits gas exchange, but I am considering it (or switching to standard plastic) because many of the packages I receive are double bagged.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I had the same thing happen last year with a small order of bags. I had been using the breather bags for quite some time without any leaking incidents. And am still using them without leaking incidents. I think like anything else, there are bad batches. You should either let the person who sold them to you know you got a bad batch or let the manufacturer know. I've run into bad batches of heat packs as well. And I know I wasn't alone, Frank from franksaquarium.com got a bad batch the same time I did. I'm still very cautious with the bags. I always set them on paper towels after I bag the fish and wait a bit to ensure there's no tiny leaks showing up on the paper towels before I add the fish bags to the box.

feiyang

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
Never know they may leak... Mayby I was just lucky with the bags. I only ordered two batches, none of them leak.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I have had duplicate experience as that of pinkertd and yourself, just a bad batch. Most sellers or themanufacturer are happy to replace them when this happens. I had 150 that were bad once. talk about a frustrating shipping day......

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
I bought some from sellers on aquabid, within a pack of 25 maybe had 2-3 bad ones.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Are they really worth the extra aggrevation?
I think they are. I like that I can put more water in the bags, especially with little plecos. You can withhold food from fish for shipping but I haven't been able to convince the plecos to stop sucking on things 24 hours before I ship them! LOL! So there's more water to disperse the waste. I bag my fish up late on a Sunday night and they get taken to the post office Monday morning, and when shipping to places like Indiana, Minnesota or Washington State, it will be 3 more days before they arrive. More water and air is absolutely better for them. And, they don't slosh around on their journey like when you use conventional bags with just a little bit of water in it. I would have to say the conventional bags always arrive to me with water that has somehow leaked from the inside bag into the outer bag. That doesn't happen with the Kordon bags.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store