Pseudotropheus saulosi in a 40 gallon??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
hi there what are my options with keeping Pseudotropheus saulosi in my 40 gallon two sided corner bowfront tank? i have just bought a new filter it'll give me a water turn over of about 8x per hour, let me know what you guys suggest! My LFS owner told me i could handle 12 in there but i wanted to get a second opinion.
Thanks!!

PS I RECENTLY FELL IN LOVE WITH THESE FISH!!!!
THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL!!

Pseudotropheus_saulosi.jpgsaulosi3.jpgsaulosi01.jpg
-Jorge

saulosi01.jpg Pseudotropheus_saulosi.jpg saulosi3.jpg

Last edited:

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Its more the shape of the tank than its size that is of concern - the length is the most important dimension.

Saulosi are lovely little fish, and you get the two colours with males females, and they can handles a smaller tank, but I would not go to 12 in this shape tank...if you really wanted to try them I would say more like 6 to 8 absolute max, but the tank shape is just not ideal.

If you could lay your hands on a 40G Long tank that would be way better.

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
Okay that was my concern, so if I do go with 6-8 what ratio of male to female should I get? Thanks for your input!

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
2m:4f, 2m:5f or 3m:5f. 3 males is pushing it really tight, but they will display better coloration that way.

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
Well I'm fine with 2m and 5f I want healthy fish so if 3 m is tight then I won't do it
thanks!!!!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Totally agree with the 2M / 5F just make sure you place a lot of hiding places with rock and soon you will have a ton of fry peeking out..

I used to breed these guys for a long time, you will enjoy them especially when the male starts his little wiggling ritual dance for mating..

The fry will be all yellow..

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
Sweet I can't wait I'm going to buy a bunch of rocks with those holes in then, and I'm going to start to cycle my tank tonight if I get around to setting up everything I'm also going to try to add drift wood but I do know that it lowers hardness I'm going to have a lot of crushed coral in hopes that it will minimize the effect of it, what water peremiters am I looking for , for this species? Thanks!!!

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
They will be fine in 7.2 or higher PH, General hardness 300 to 450ppm, Temp of 76 to 79 degree..

Jorge97301

AC Members
Oct 10, 2009
Salem,Oregon
sweet thanks pittbull, so i have a question, i bought used crushed coral from my LFS and it is super dirty and smells like death:crazy:! i didnt notice till i was stuck in the car with it for the half an hour drive home! it looks like it was used in a salt water tank before this and i've washed it for about an hour the first time i put water in it to clean the coral the water turned a DARK BLACK, i stirred it and dumped the water out and filled it up again and stirred it and ect.... for about an hour i finally got it to a decent point where the water was only coming up slightly cloudy, my question is should i follow up with more cleaning? maybe soaking in water for a while, or adding hot water, or bleach/water mix, or IDK but do you think it would be safe to use in my tank now? it only has a slightly fishy smell now, what do you think????
THANKS!!!
-Jorge

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Wow yeah i think you will be fine.. My 120gal sand was from a friend on MFK in 5gal buckets and i didn't do a thing to it just filled the tank with water in it and waited for a few days and it cleared up..

Down fall is that i have hundreds of Trump snails..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store