Problems,stocking,tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SaltyDog52

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
Hi,
You all have been very helpful to me in other areas, now I have run into another issue with stocking the tank. I started with 2 Ocellaris Clowns and they are still fine. I added numerous snails and some hermits and they are fine. I had a fire shrimp, added a cleaner shrimp and then the cleaner shrimp killed the fire shrimp so that didn't work for some reason.
OK, another problem. I added a Falco Hawk because the lfs and compatibility charts said it would be fine, but I had to remove the hawk because he was trying to kill everything in the tank.
I am stuck. I have some pretty live rock, the cleaner shrimp, 2 clowns, snails and hermits, and one soft coral. I really would like to add more color, but after all these bad experiences, I am afraid. I lost a 30 dollar shrimp and a 20 dollar hawk.
Does anyone have any suggestions at all? Any colorful fish that would go in a 29 gallon that will definitely NOT do harm, or should I enjoy what I have?

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
You could definitely add a few Neon Goby's, a few firefish, or perhaps a few Chromis I have also heard that Fridmani Psuedochromis (bright purple) are relatively peaceful for this genus...

If it's my tank, I would keep the clowns, add two firefish (purple if I could find them), a Fridmani and a green Chromis...

Again, even a fish that is listed as relatively peaceful, you will find, just like with freshwater that every animal is an individual, and can be very different from someone else's experience.

If you can get them, there are also some beautiful gobies that are very peacefull as well.

SaltyDog52

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
You could definitely add a few Neon Goby's, a few firefish, or perhaps a few Chromis I have also heard that Fridmani Psuedochromis (bright purple) are relatively peaceful for this genus...

If it's my tank, I would keep the clowns, add two firefish (purple if I could find them), a Fridmani and a green Chromis...

Again, even a fish that is listed as relatively peaceful, you will find, just like with freshwater that every animal is an individual, and can be very different from someone else's experience.

If you can get them, there are also some beautiful gobies that are very peacefull as well.
I have seen all of those fish you mention in a store that is about 60 miles from me. All they deal in is Saltwater. Very pretty fish.
I understand how fish can be....I won't hold anything against you if things don't work out :) It was a tough experience this morning to take my tank down just to get the hawk out. I liked him too.
OK....I will print this out and gradually add a few every 2 weeks or so.
Thank you for your time and input!

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
You bet. You should upload pictures once they are in, it's nice to see the tanks up and running.

SaltyDog52

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
You bet. You should upload pictures once they are in, it's nice to see the tanks up and running.
I can show you what it looks like now, but I am still going through the brown diatom stage :-(
Not too bad - the snails are cleaning up pretty well.
Would you like to see a pic and give me some tips?

tank.JPG

Last edited:

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
I am in the Brown diatom too. I like the tank, it looks nice. How do you like the t5 lighting? I am thinking of getting them for my tank.

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
I have researched much about different marine fish (for well over a year), but I am very new to the actual set up of a marine tank (only a few weeks in...) so at this point, my only advice is on stocking, and the nitrogen cycle... Can't help too much on corals and other marine life... yet...

SaltyDog52

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
I am in the Brown diatom too. I like the tank, it looks nice. How do you like the t5 lighting? I am thinking of getting them for my tank.
Well thanks for the compliment on the tank!
It is nowhere near what I want it to be, but it's fun....

I started off with a 50/50 bulb and had that for about the first 2 weeks, then heard about T-5 lights.

They are much brighter, I can keep some corals without spending a fortune on refractors....there are 2 bulbs...a daylight bulb and a blue bulb that go on together. I love the t-5. The colors of the fish and coral really stand out...
Tomorrow I am going to pick up some yellow watchman goby's and a pistol shrimp. All the fish you mentioned are out of stock. Hard to get saltwater for some reason.

SaltyDog52

AC Members
Sep 13, 2009
I certainly appreciate all you have input.
Cycling was a snap for me for some reason. I used live sand, 28 lbs of live rock, put in a clean up crew, waited 2 weeks and added the clowns, and ever since, never saw ammonia, nitrite or anything else. I have about 5ppm nitrate which is harmless and I do 10% water changes weekly.
Stay in touch! When I am all set up, I'll send you a PM with some photos.

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
a coral beauty angel would also go nice in your tank..i have one they are pretty nice looking fish, mostly purple and orange..they also get along with everybody..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store