Walmart Fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Everyone is well aware of the cruelty Walmart puts upon their fish. Walmart won't take anyone's advice on the puffers or fish care in general. They have the puffers 20 in little 10g tanks and tell buyers that they can live in FW their whole lives & just feed them flakes. The poor things are skin and bones, turning black and have Ich. They are chewed on by their tank mates & many are dead & dying.

Please check out this petition against them selling fish and sign it. I just feel that they should NOT be able to carry any fish at all--they are all sick looking and they have absolutely no clue on how to care for them.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sickfish/petition.html

R.A.W.

AC Members
Mar 6, 2010
Deepwater, Missouri
I know that Wal-Mart takes about as much care of their fish as a dog fighter their dogs but Wal-Mart is the only place close to buy fish for some people. Until about 6 months ago, there was a real good LFS near where I live. Now, it's only Wal-Mart or a couple hours drive ... which I hardly doubt my parents will agree to "just for fish."

I'd be more than happy to sign a petition that puts stricter rules on how they take care of thier fish (REALLY strict rules) but, being a fish maniac, should Wal-Mart not be allowed to keep it's fish, people like me who live in small towns wouldn't have anywhere to buy fish.

I really do appreciate your efforts to help the fish. I too hate to see them in such conditions and always complain when I buy them, but Wal-Mart is the only place for me to buy fish.

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
i have to agree with R.A.W im all for cracking down on how they treat em but not eliminating them all together.

Robert04

Aspiring Self Proclaimed Expert
Dec 31, 2008
You know it's threads like this that are a real pfffft off, And generalize all of the wal marts.. Well depending where you go some walmarts have a great freshwater sections with people who care behind the counter. I could say this about 1000 fish stores in North America but nobody picks on them because they are the little guy.. I've been to corner fish stores with multiple adult tangs in a 30g aquarium but I didn't call the "fish police" Honestly if you guys want anything to be done scaring people out of the market is not the way to go.

lethalcustoms00

gearhead extrordinare
Jan 16, 2010
Gillette wyo
i agree, walmart should have some better way of regulating how the keep their fish. Instead of whiming about it, lets all talk to th pets department manager. If that wont work, go to that persons boss, and so on. do what you can to make them stop selling common plecos, and start selling bristlenose instead. Or to get convicts instead of oscars, silver dolars and not pacu, you get the idea.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I've tried writing to corporate. They couldn't care less.

soniyajack

Registered Member
Feb 22, 2010
My experience with Walmart's fish department has been the same. Filthy tanks stocked with dead or dying fish. However, I recently moved to Arlington,TX. and I was very pleasantly suprised when I saw the fish at the local Walmart. As you mentioned the tanks were clean and the fish looked very healthy. Not much of a selection but, I would rather see a small amount of healthy fish than an entire wall of sick or dead fish.

sed03f

a plant a fish
Jul 23, 2008
Florida
inverthobby.com
Real Name
Sarah
ha, they switched from 10gs to 5gs at our wal-mart and house puffers w/cories, poor cories look terrible. being pecked and half eaten all day

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
ok, the opinion of this store varies, but please folks, please do try to keep the names of stores off the site. For here, the thread will remain for the OP and her petition, but the thread cannot continue open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store