$17 Hood Light Upgrade to 150W, 6500k

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fredriksson

AC Members
Oct 17, 2009
Western Kentucky, USA
I just converted a 46 gallon bow front tank to a planted freshwater tank. In doing some research I realized that my 40W fluorescent bulb in my 36" hood light was not going to cut it. I found that I needed around 3W/gal which for my tank would be just under 150W.

I searched around on the net and found that hood lights were very expensive, starting at almost $200 and going up from there. Continuing my education I found an article on aquarium lighting. A part of the article showed CFL lighting used in a large aquarium.

I continued looking and found out that Lowe's carries a line of high output CFL's rated at 6,500k daylight. So, I went to my local Lowe's today and for $16.87 purchased 2 Bright Effects Daylight 6,500k 75W bulbs ($3.98 each). These screw directly into a normal light bulb socket and do not require an external ballast. Then I purchased 2 single light fixtures with twist type on/off knobs ($3.56 each). Finally I purchased 1 extension cord for $1.79.

When I got home I removed everything from my 36" light. I lightly shaped the reflector so the new lights would fit better. I drilled holes throught the plastic at the ends of the light and mounted the light fixtures. Wired it all up using the original cord from the light and the extension cord. Now I have 150W of 6,500k light for my plants.

I have attached pictures of everything I used and the hood itself. Like I said, I am new to this so only time will tell if the plants in the tank like the new light. It is certainly a lot brighter than it was with the standard 40W light. And I spent less than $17 instead of $200.

I have 4 plants in the tank - a Kleiner Bar Sword, a Moneywort, 2 Mongo Grass and a 4th that I do not know the name of. If anyone recognizes the plant with the red on the left side of the tank in the picture, please let me know.

Freddy

Hood.jpg Close Fixture.jpg Hood Lights Off.jpg Hood Lights On.jpg Light Fixture.jpg Light Package.jpg Tank.jpg

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
You do not have 150 watts. You still only have 40 total.

20 watts fluorescent = 75 watts incandescent.

Watts per gallon recommendations use the actual wattage of fluorescents, not the comparisons. Not to mention spiral CFLs will lose some light to re-strike.

The reddish plant on the left looks to be a Ludwigia species. And mondo grass is not fully aquatic. I would remove it now before it rots and turns into a mess.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You do not have 150 watts. You still only have 40 total.

20 watts fluorescent = 75 watts incandescent.

Watts per gallon recommendations use the actual wattage of fluorescents, not the comparisons. Not to mention spiral CFLs will lose some light to re-strike.

The reddish plant on the left looks to be a Ludwigia species. And mondo grass is not fully aquatic. I would remove it now before it rots and turns into a mess.
:iagree: Sorry....You still have only 40watts total.

Bravofleet4

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
nice work. i'm sure you'll master it in no time. i've always wanted to do something like this but kept making excuses. maybe i'll get around to to it someday.

boobiebutt

AC Members
Jul 5, 2008
Well, from the amount of space it seems you have left over between the 2 light bulbs, I would assume you would be able to add possibly 4 more CFL bulbs into your fixture for a total of 6. At approximately 20W/bulb you would still have about 120W which wouldn't be too far off from the 150W you want. If you really wanted to hit that 150W mark, you can use 4 higher W bulbs if you choose to add 4 more sockets.

You could use a 'back to back' kinda design to save space, similar to the DIY light project located here. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147012

jptjpt

AC Members
May 16, 2008
Be careful going up to a higher wattage on those spiral CF bulbs. The diameter of the ballast and the coil also get larger so that you might not have the room to screw in the bulb.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store