UFO sucker fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aahhsin

AC Members
Apr 9, 2009
Obviously not the real name, but I saw this at a fishstore and does anyone have any idea what it is?

It's dark brown/green and in a disc like shape. It looks like a flounder and a stingray. The problem is that the eyes are not on one side and look normal, and it sticks to the glass. It's not a stingray either, since it doesn't have the flaps or the long tail. The shop keeper says it remains small as well.

I would take a picture, but I just walked in there without any prior knowledge.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
It sounds like a hillstream loach.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I agree. Sounds like a hillstream loach.

Kristina

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Based on that description I'd second the hillstream loach.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Then it must be Beaufortia kweichowensis or any species of Gastromyzon. Pics?

The one shown in pic is Sewellia lineolata.

dq1275

Registered Member
Dec 16, 2009
New Mexico
how big do these Hillstream Loach get? and are they good in a 45gal tank with angelfish. there freshwater fish right?

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
They are freshwater fish, but they prefer lower temps and higher flow than most community tanks can accomodate. They need high oxygen levels and pristine conditions to flourish.

Not to say that it can't be done, but it's not the ideal conditions for them.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.

I've had mine for over a year. They are in my 46BF community tank, kept at 80 degrees. The only flow I have is from the 2 filters, an AC 70 and an Emperor 400. By all accounts, these are not ideal conditions for them, but mine have spawned for me under these conditions ! They like to munch on zucchini, algae, and other stuff. Give 'em a try, they are fun to watch, especially if you have more than 1. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store