Building Stand for 30gal. INPUT NEEDED

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
Theres alot of writeups out there but alot of them are really complicated due to being built for larger tanks. Ran across a few smaller designs but i didnt like how they were put together, remember simplicity is what im going for.

Since this is going to be for a 30gal, i would guess the design could be alot more simple.

The tank is about 24" x 15".

Being introduced to Google SktechUp, i came up with these blue prints.

I have alot of 2x4s to put to use, so im aiming to use nothing but 2x4s.

Tell me what you think. Remember, this is my FIRST time building anything like this, so i dont know the tips and tricks or how to position each 2x4 for maximum strength. So please look over them and tell me the dos and donts.

After the frame is built, im going to cover them over ADA style.

Thanks
-Q

P.S. Heres the MFK thread if you want to keep updated on my new project.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...d.php?t=277619

Last edited:

thorpbrian

AC Members
Oct 7, 2009
La Center, WA
Actually I think your design would be better suited if you flipped it over. That way the crossing 2x4 would be supported allowing it to help bear the weight of the tank. This way the unsupported cross members can just act as bracing which is all they would need to do at the bottom of the stand. You could do what coach z suggested but this would allow you to use the same material and still have a suitable stand IMO.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I have built all my stands out of 2x4's - most of mine are holding 55's so they are fine to use. In your pic you show the boards lying flat for max strength you want the small side facing up and as one poster noted the long board that will be supporting the bulk of the tank weight needs to be supported. It should run the entire 24" and the smaller board should connect to it w/a "L" brace.

Here's a pic of what I am talking about for the long board.

HTH,

Fish for sale 073.JPG

thorpbrian

AC Members
Oct 7, 2009
La Center, WA
Back to the drawing broad.

Thanks for the info guys.
I don't think you'd have to completely start over. Just flip the design over and then support all the joints with angle brackets and you'll be fine.

Of course if your buying all the material you may just be able to buy stand for cheaper....but that wouldn't be nearly as fun. :grinyes:

TipStylez

XCELMotorsports.com
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle WA
Ok, posted this on 3 different forums. And with all the tips i got this is what i came up with.

Also, this would make it alot stronger, but im not sure if they even make a brace like this. Got any ideas if theres anything like this? Circled in red.

Thanks

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to make a jpeg/png pic through Google SketchUp? I havent figured it out and been doing screen shots and cropping it in photoshop...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store