What is a good size for a new tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wiEngineer

AC Members
Aug 25, 2002
Madison, WI
What is a good size for a new tank?

I am planning to set up a marine reef tank (live rock, corals, and a few fishes) in a few months and I was contemplating a 155g bowfront with a 40g wet/dry sump. However, i'm a little concerned that it might be just TOO big. Moving 30g of water around at a crack for water changes doesn't sound like a prime motivation.

In any case, what is a good minimum size tank to consider for a stable reef tank, assuming some kind of a wet/dry sump on it?

One of my requirements is that I can't have a tank that is very tall; I'm short and with short arms. I have a 4' 55g freshwater tank that is just the perfect height.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
40 gallon and up is fine....

Theres no need for the wet/dry filter however. Most marine aquarists choose to go with LR and one or more other "filters" like a deep sand bed, or a refugium.

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
A 155g bowfront could make for an awesome marine tank if it was properly set up - lots of nice live rock, etc.

If height is a problem, you may be able to modify the stand or build a new stand that would lower the tank a bit. Or, do what I do...use a step stool. I can't reach the bottom of my 100g (56" high overall and I'm about 5'11") when I'm standing on the floor so a small step stool comes in very handy.

About those water changes - if you go with a large tank, you may want to consider stuffing a 20-30g trash can in a closet and using it for mixing and storing your salt water. And, if the trash can is close enough to the display tank, you can use a powerhead and a hose to pump the new salt water into the tank/sump. You could also use the powerhead and hose to pump the old water from the tank/sump over to a sink drain or something. Viola - no more buckets!

Oh well, just throwing some ideas at you :)

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I agree with Greg--that would be an awesome tank!

We have a 180 setup, and use an agriculture sprayer tank for mixing water for changes. It's on a cart, so we just store it in one room, and pull it out for changes. It's raised enough that you just open a vavle on the bottom and gravity pulls the water into the sump. Really easy!

And--I am 6'1, and use step stools when working in the tanks. It's just easier, since you don't have to worry about accidentally leaning on the tank, or trying to tip toe it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store