I know im going to sound dumb...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dtl92

AC Members
Aug 30, 2009
but what do shrimp do in a tank? Sorry but I see a lot of shrimp postings on this site. I also see a lot of for sale. You guys probably think im a fish noob now :duh:

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
If shrimp are put into the proper setting, where they don't feel threatened, they are swimming all over the tank. They clean algae off of plants and decor. All in all a cool little creature, very busy in a tank.

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
my girlfriend hates my fish but likes seeing all of the little shrimp in my shrimp tanks. i too think that they are much more interesting to watch

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
they are for sure more interesting than fish, but i like both. it's also fun to see the teeny babies.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I asked the same thing,then bought some.Fascinating little creatures.

TechAquaria

AC Members
Sep 3, 2009
Uh, yeah ... and then ...

I asked the same thing,then bought some.Fascinating little creatures.
They will prevent you from buying fish which eat them (unless you wish to feed your fish "lobster".) They will prevent you from using meds on a complete tank which the shrimp are sensitive too (some invertebrates are HIGHLY sensitive to effective meds.) They will prevent you from effectively vacuuming the gravel/sand unless you like missing "shrimp pieces" or like a "PAIN IN THE ARSE!", etc., etc.

Hey, just call this "movie" "The Good, the bad and the ugly", what can I say and still have some believe I am honest???

Regards,
TA)

Last edited:

dtl92

AC Members
Aug 30, 2009
Yea I was thinking about getting some as well. Do any of you know any good types or strains of shrimp?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
They will prevent you from buying fish which eat them (unless you wish to feed your fish "lobster".) They will prevent you from using meds on a complete tank which the shrimp are sensitive too (some invertebrates are HIGHLY sensitive to effective meds.) They will prevent you from effectively vacuuming the gravel/sand unless you like missing "shrimp pieces" or like a "PAIN IN THE ARSE!", etc., etc.

Hey, just call this "movie" "The Good, the bad and the ugly", what can I say and still have some believe I am honest???

Regards,
TA)
Which is why most people tend to set up smaller (< 10 gallon) tanks solely for inverts.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
green shrimp are what i have, and i'll tell ya, their tough lil buggers! lol. had some survive a move in a tank with no water, hauled in the back of an open box truck, in less than +10 celcius weather. and here i thought i'd gotten them all out........

i love watching them dart around the leaves of my ginormous sword plant.

on a side note, shrimp are not a good choice for a tank that is not fully established yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store