Callamanus worms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Has anyone had any experience with eradicating Callamanus worms, and jungle labs anti-parisite fizz tabs, and anti-parasite food? I have two 75 gallon tanks, and a 20 gallon hospital/quarantine tank. The Angels I have definately have them, and at least one of my african mbuna. I just ordered five discus from somethingphishy.com, and am trying not to add them to my 75 planted with the Angel with Callamanous until they're gone. HELP!!! I've done as suggested on the bottle(removed carbon, medicated, then 25% water after 2 days, re-medicated, fed the medicated food for 3 days, fed no other foods), and I can still see worms coming out of my black Angels anus. It's been the 4 days, of medication, tonight. I release the discus in about 1 1/2 weeks. (by the way, somethingphishy.com has the cheapest discus I could find, all arrived healthy, and alive, no hassle, except they put the wrong name on the order, no biggee)Anyone with any ideas?:huh:

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Thanks, anyway.

I did a search of the site, and found some useful info. I found conflicting viewpoints, so, I'll just have to finish treating, and see what happens. Thanks. I'll update, when I'm finished.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
how's it going.
conflicting views on Camallanus?

interesting... it had been very frequently seen in Angles until the last couple years.. it has been seen more on other tropicals.
it is resistant to regular treatments which include praziquantel, metronidazole.

more often used is Levamisole Hcl., fenbendazole/flubendazole are std treatments

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Hmmm.

I'm going to re-treat, tonight. I'll just have to see if it does any good at all. The medicated foods have callamanous worms listed as one that it cures fish of. I just hope it works. Otherwise, I'll have to let them recuperate from the meds. then try another med. My black Angel's worms seem to be smaller in size, but not absebt. Don't feed live foods you haven't cultured yourself. I tried Daphnia from a local pond, and have regretted it ever since. Since then, I've only fed cultured or freeze dried "live" foods. Before that, I pretty much tried anything live, and small enough for my fish to eat. Live foods "can" be okay, but sooner or later..... Anyway, I'll post again when I'm done treating.

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I really doubt the jungle food will do it, no one here has had success with it and this parasite to my knowledge. Best stick to the meds Star Rider sugested and then provide food with roughage (veggies, brine shrimp) to clear the worms through when they die, or they will get stuck.

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
How do I get the meds.?

Thanks. How do I acquire the proper meds.? I, really, don't want to have to go to the doctor, and pretend I have an STD. Lol! I'm in a little town in Idaho, so, I don't have much in the way of fish stores. If you could direct me to a reputable online dealer, I'd appreciate it. Right now, I've got five discus in a twenty gallon, waiting to go into the infected tank. I just re-medicated with the jungle stuff, but I can do a quick water change, and switch to the better stuff. I, really, hate these worms. Thanks, again.:1zhelp:

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
Google "charles harrison callamanus" and hopefully he still has some Levamisole. It worked for me! Very tough to find this stuff - and believe me I called all over the U.S.

Edit: It may be camallanus, I never was too sure of either spelling. ;) Good luck.

Last edited:

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Thanks!

:thumbsup:I found the George Harrison site, and requested the meds. Apparently, the medicated jungle foods have the levamisole in it, because it came up, when googled, but I'd rather use something stronger, and that will work. Thanks, again. I'll post results of his e-mail, and hopefully the successful treatment of the fish. :D:D:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store