How to attach a store bought aquarium background?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I am having trouble attaching my store bought aquarium background to my tank:eek:. How do you do it? Is the background supposed to go inside the tank or something?

milesalive

AC Members
Apr 22, 2009
Kalamazoo,MI
No I just take clear tape to both ends

milesalive

AC Members
Apr 22, 2009
Kalamazoo,MI
and put it on theoutside of my tanks

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
some people just tape it onto the back of their tanks, some use cooking oil for a more vibrant view of it, and some even use vaseline. The trouble with using oil and vaseline is when you take it off, there is still the residue....

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
It goes on the outside. You can use a spray bottle and mist the tank with water and the do the same to the background. You don't want it too wet, but the moisture makes it easier to smooth out any bubbles. After you apply it to the tank use a credit card or something similar to smooth out all the air bubbles. If you don't have a spray bottle handy just use a damp sponge. You'll get the same result.

Hollygirl

Overfilter and Understock
Sep 3, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
I use plain tape. It makes it easier if you change your mind later on and want to put on a different background.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I got it on, the vaseline did the trick (but I ended up using water and cooking oil too). There are still some air bubbles but I did the best I could to get them out (I used a rigid piece of plasic). All in all I am happy with the way it came out.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
I got it on, the vaseline did the trick (but I ended up using water and cooking oil too). There are still some air bubbles but I did the best I could to get them out (I used a rigid piece of plasic). All in all I am happy with the way it came out.
Glad it worked out. Let's have a pic.

Jspigs

Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
It's just a standard black background to make the plants look better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store