does Baking soda raise pH?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
I just bought KH,dH test kits, but haven't used them yet. The pH in my QT is 7.0 I did my water changes yesterday anfd today my pH is back down to 6.4. One is 20, one is 29, both are heavily planted. Are the plants stripping something out of the water to cause this. I treat both tanks with the seachem line of plant supplements. TIA linda

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
I am sorry but I don't see how baking soda comes in?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Yes it will raise your pH. And more importantly it will raise your kH which will keep your pH from dropping so much. You need to test pH at the same point in your light cycle in a planted tank. The pH can vary quite a bit, going up while the lights are on and the plants are absorbing CO2 and dropping at night when they release CO2. A tsp is about right in the 20, a bit more in the 29. Dissolve it in a cup of tank water before adding.

Linda S

AC Members
Sep 6, 2009
Killeen, TX
Real Name
Linda Sholly
tank you SubRosa, I also searched the forum for baking soda and found many threads that I found helpful. I have dosed my two tanks and will probably retest pH in the morning. Hopefully I have solved this battle.
linda

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
baking soda will raise your ph but its only temporary. you need to raise the kh to keep it up. a small bag of crushed coral in the tank or filter will help

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
It will not, however, change the amount that CO2 changes your pH during the day. It will change the range, but not the size of the range. Fortunately, pH changes do not, contrary to popular belief, in and of themselves bother the fish.

Measure KH. That is the important factor here.

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
And why are we in the process of raising the PH in the first place, if it is at 6.4 ?
Lets see some more details?
Location, KH, GH, what is in the tanks ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store