Disaster! Filter Explosion!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
This morning, around 6am, I went upstairs to get ready for bed, and there was a weird and very noisy splashing noise coming from the tank
(currantly a sterlite tub, 14.5g filled to about 10.5g, tied with rope several times and with a bungee cord across, 2 filters, -tetra?- 2-10gWhisper, & a 10-30gWhisper).

I ran to check it out and immediately noticed that the water line had dropped roughly an inch since I"d last seen it several hours ago, as well as - I could see a little bit of the 2-10 filter through a 'crack' in the front of the lid - the smaller filter was splashing in a bad way. (In a bad way, I panicked, that's the best way to describe it right now, lol.)
I immediately pulled the plug on both filters, checked the plug (it's in front of the tank area) for water, luckily it was dry (the one on the wall ain't :jaw-dropping: ), but I noticed that the shelf it's on was wet, then that the carpet was wet, the wall - what I could see of it - was wet.
I took off the lid and the bungee cord - above and several inches to the side of the small noisy filter - was soaked.

I got everybody out and most everything (that took a while, whew!) and let the water out.

(I put the gouramis and shrimp in a tub with a buch of the plants and some decor... I haven't seen any shrimp in a while....)
The 2-10g filter is on the tub and seems to be working fine...?

I don't know if the tub actually leaked, or since the small filter, which is unfortunately the only one that I noticed cause it was so loud, seems to be doing fine, maybe something happened with the 10-30g filter???
I haven't tested it yet, it's hanging on the back of 'trash can' bucket - the sponge in another bucket of tank water - with plants in the bottom with tank water.

Once I can move the plants out of that or one of the other buckets, I will move that bucket to the bath tub, fill with water, and test the larger filter (standing far away from it with the shower curtain pulled around the bucket as much as possible, lol).

Exploding filter???
I've only had this filter a week or two...
Why the heck would a filter shoot Up???

To be continued....

chadly831

chadly
May 13, 2007
massachusetts
did you check to see if the motor is installed correctly? sometimes the threads dont catch right. that could be the problem

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
The motor's inside... I didn't think to look at it...

I'll see if that's possible (to do.)

I think I had it running fine for almost 2 weeks.

I tested it this moring in a large tub, it didn't repeat whatever happened.

So I still don't know what happened.
At least the wall is nearly dry, carpets getting there, and the smell seems to be lessening as it dries, Thank God.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Depending on the filter like chadly mentioned the threading may not of caught correctly which means the seal would not of been on completely allowing for a small to large leak depending how badly the threading caught on. Ive had this happen with me with my aquaclear in the past. Had to just reseal it correctly and no more leaks. The filter wont explode or atleast never did on me thank God. I would test it out if it leaks still replace it if not then should be good to go. Could always be a faulty filter. Good luck and keep us updated

LiveMermaid07

Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
Wasn't able to get in to check the motor, so I just returned it.

The kit I got and just set up had a 20/40 by another brand (AquaTech?), so we'll see how this one goes...
*crosses fingers. spits in one ear and wishes for good luck... *

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Wasn't able to get in to check the motor, so I just returned it.

The kit I got and just set up had a 20/40 by another brand (AquaTech?), so we'll see how this one goes...
*crosses fingers. spits in one ear and wishes for good luck... *
I hear that Aquatecs are not the best filter. Anyone wish to confirm?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store