Corydora Eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
So my Corydora decided to lay eggs last night (or perhaps early this morning).

Late to work of course- quickly dashing in to feed the fish and saw eggs all over the tank walls. One patch being grazed on by a Cory- another patch being grazed on by a Spixi Juvie.

After a few seconds realising- those arn't Spixi eggs and none of my other fish would stick eggs to the glass I realised Corydora must be responsible.

I have Aeneus (bronze and Albino) and Palaetus in the tank... I'm guessing it was one of the Bronze that layed eggs, there was one in particular who looked ready to burst recently.

I recall reading you're supposed to wait 24 hours before removing the eggs with a razor blade- but not knowing when they were laid, and how long they would survive withouth being eaten I went ahead and removed them to the breeder net. (wish I had time to set up my hospital tank because snails sometimes climb into the breeder).

So now I have perhaps 20 eggs (some fell when I tried to collect them and others no doubt had already been eaten).

Going to do a little research tonight- but I seem to recall reading I can expect an egg to take about a week to hatch.

Does anyone know what temperature the little guys can take- will I need a heater in the hospital tank if I make that their grow-out tank for a few months? The house stays in the 70s.

Am I best keeping them in the breeder net until they're wriggling (if I can keep the snails at bay) - or seperating them into a seperate tank?

Thank you.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
A separate tank would be best, it's hard to feed them and keep it clean in a breeder net but it will work when they're a bit bigger. Temp in the 70's will work as I've done it before but they will hatch in approx 3days at 78ish degrees. And will take food another 2-3 days after wards. I usually just remove mine by rolling the eggs onto my finger. Make sure to have the eggs by an air stone to avoid fungus. If a breeder net is all you have try that, because they will spawn again in the next few wks probably and mabye you can start setting up a tank now =) and save a bigger batch of eggs. I can usally get the eggs out within a few hrs by using my fingers, instead of waiting 24hrs. My cories will eat them by then. GL! you can ck my profile to see pics of my cories

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I can't help you as I have only two failed attempts to hatch out my Bronze Cory eggs :thumbsdown:.

Just wanted to say congrats though!!!! Eggs are really cool to get and Good Luck!!!!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Thank you... I did stick the breeder net right above the air stone- so hopefully that will help.

I also ended up using my fingers to remove them. I remembered someone on here suggesting a razor blade once- not having a razor blade handy I tried an old credit card. (that's why I lost a number of the eggs). In the end I figured it was easier to use my hands.

I'll set up the hospital tank tonight when I get home to seperate them and move the babies over.

The breeder is right above the airstone- so hopefully it will do enough water movement to prevent fungus. (and hopefully I won't have snails climbing in to eat the eggs).

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Now that you see they are breeding, Wycco, don't be surprised to see little ones that may have escaped being eaten at one point or another. They can be amazingly good at keeping away from being eaten.

When mine were breeding, I used to take a fishnet and roll the egg on the glass until the egg stuck to the net's corner and then plopped it into the breeders net (with an airstone). I've never heard of waiting for the eggs to be 24 hours old or anything like that. Usually, my eggs hatched in 3 or 4 days.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I'll keep an eye out for youngsters in the tank. It's not just fish they need to look out for- I've got tiny dwarf crayfish and ghost shrimp in there that would love to eat them I'm sure.

Still, with young shrimp surviving to adulthood, maybe one or two young fish will survive too.

I do have plenty of plants in there (including lots of bushy java moss on a piece of wood)... shame I just threw out most of my guppy grass about three weeks ago- it was growing way too quick and bushy it was a maintenance night-mare and made the tank look scruffy but would have been an ideal hiding spot were any of the eggs I dropped to hatch.

botia

AC Members
Jan 26, 2009
Connecticut
Every time I find eggs in my tank it is right before work I told my boss the reason why I was late I just kind of got a blank stare from him. I have been having success with hatching out the eggs in a margarine container (clean of course) with a airstone going through the top cut down on the fungus quite a bit too.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Mine never hatched- presumedly I need to up the aeration on them for next time then.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
I just discovered eggs on my tank glass and on plant leaves. But, I don't have airstones. Not even sure I know what that they are. Can I simply take the eggs out and place them in a container; change the water and see what happens? If the water is shallow enough, I think the changing of the water should work.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
They need a lot of water circulation or they'll suffer the same fate as mine- they won't hatch (fungus). I had my breeder net above the airstone- but apparantly that wasn't good enough it should have been inside to stir them up enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store