Eggs!! My Birchirds laid Eggs! What to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
Hey Guys!

My Birchirds def laid eggs (around 50 i'd say)

My questions are

1.) Do I need to move the slate into my 10gal RCS tank for now

2.) Which parent usually guards the eggs?

3.) How long do the eggs usualy take to hatch?

thanks guys, I'm so excited! :woot:

Here is a pic of the eggs!!!

birchird eggs!!.jpg

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Don't touch it, both guard, and I have no clue about the incubation period. Don't be surprised if they eat the fry/eggs. They will get very aggressive towards the other fish, and you essentially have a brichardi factory now.

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
oh i can def tell that are aggressive towards others i expect that, the female cleans that eggs constantly, i keep them fed well so they do not attempt to eat the eggs

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Being new parents, no matter how hungry they are, they might eat the eggs. As you probably know, they are opportunistic eaters that will eat anything they can find. However, the fact that she is cleaning the eggs is a very good sign that they will be good parents, and not eat them.

Just curious, what size tank are they in and what are their tankmates?

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
It is a 55 gallon tank that has 4 Labidochromises, 4 Melachromises, but I had received these Birchardi's. I keep a constant eye on them all but the Birchardi's seem to keep to themselves

Yeah the female cleans the eggs regularly and chases of anything near it included my BN's lol

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
did you count the ones attached to the roof of the peice of sleate on the top left?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
The rest of the fish are going to be terrorized by the brichardi/pulcher. I would personally devote a 20-30 gallon tank to them and the fry at this point. With a 55 gallon, you cannot get around their aggressive tendencies as parents.

Jerzboi

AC Members
Jan 13, 2009
Pine Level, NC
Real Name
Brad
It really isn bad in the tank right now, the parents are only in the middle of the tank, a small chace once in awhile but the fish seem to stay out of the area

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store