Another Tang debate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kpatrick

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
I currently have a 125 gallon tank with a few soft corals and polyps. I have the following fih in the tank:

3 percula clowns
2 clown gobies
1 hippo tang
1 pajama cardinal
2 cleaner shrimp
25 zebra hermits

I keep getting different answers everytime I ask the local fish stores if I can keep more then one tang in my tank. I know the rule is not to have 2 of them (1 or a group) but I want to add a purple tang or naso tang to the tank. Some say its okay others say its not. I want to add either the purple or naso depending on which one is best suited for this setup.
All opinions are welcome and lets see if any debates start over this on going topic! :)
Thanks!!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I would say the purple is fine but the Naso will grow too large for the tank. My mom kept a Blue Hippo with a Yellow for over a year until the Blue outgrew her 75 gallon and is now residing in my 209g. Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.

kpatrick

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
I had a purple tang a year ago but it killed my cleaner and fire shrimp so I got rid of him. I actually turned on the lights in the middle of the night and saw him dragging them around the tank. maybe he just got territorial (the shrimp were added after the tang had been in the tank for awhile). Didnt know if a new purple tang would be too aggresive towards the hippo and new shrimp I plan on getting. I hate for the purple to beat up on the Hippo.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store