Back again

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Temptress

Total Newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Minnesota
Well, here I am back again.. determined to work my way up to these discus.. i now have a 75g cycled and ready to go, I do currently have some stock, I have a pair of long fin rams, and 2 angels.. no idea id they are a pair, I just bought them. I also have 10 neons, 4 cories, and 10BN plecos (when they show sex there will only be 2-3) along with 3 glo-fish danios and 3 princisomething tetras, all very small fish, I would like to add some discus, figuring around the 3" size, and I am great with water changes, it is a planted tank, so I didn't want them any younger.. any suggestions? I am thinking 4 or 6.. leaning towards 6 and I am planning to raise the temp now, before I get them to work out any problems BEFORE they arrive.. my PH is fairly high but I've heard not to worry about that.. true? Any problems you can see? Any stock I need to think twice about?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Well, here I am back again.. determined to work my way up to these discus.. i now have a 75g cycled and ready to go, I do currently have some stock, I have a pair of long fin rams, and 2 angels.. no idea id they are a pair, I just bought them. I also have 10 neons, 4 cories, and 10BN plecos (when they show sex there will only be 2-3) along with 3 glo-fish danios and 3 princisomething tetras, all very small fish, I would like to add some discus, figuring around the 3" size, and I am great with water changes, it is a planted tank, so I didn't want them any younger.. any suggestions? I am thinking 4 or 6.. leaning towards 6 and I am planning to raise the temp now, before I get them to work out any problems BEFORE they arrive.. my PH is fairly high but I've heard not to worry about that.. true? Any problems you can see? Any stock I need to think twice about?
ids this the stock currently in the tank?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Choose your discus carefully; some strains are relatively hardy, some are much more demanding regarding their water conditions. Not too surprisingly, it's usually the line-bred fish that are more difficult to keep.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I agree with Todd. Choose your discus carefully and get them from a breeder/importer so you don't wind up pulling out every hair on your head dealing with illness and parasites. I would recommend 6, not 4. And if the angels wind up being a pair, they will probably have to be removed from that tank because of their aggression.

Temptress

Total Newbie
Mar 12, 2009
Minnesota
yes, I am actually prepared to get rid of whichever inhabitant needs to go in order to have some discus so I will certainly keep my eye on the angels =)

Where do you guys recommend getting discus from? I have heard a few names go around about people that breed healthy fish.. who's the best choice?

marl_nyc

AC Members
Jul 8, 2008
Queens, NY
My first choice is Kenny Cheung at www.kennysdiscus.net in Daly City California. Followed by Dan at Gulf Coast Discus at http://www.houstonaquariumwarehouse.com/ and Mike Beals in Ohio at www.centralohiodiscus.com.

i agree with Pinks first choice! I ordered my discus from Kenny a year ago and have had no problems. His fish are really high quality and he provides great customer support. He is an all around great guy to do business with. He is also a gold mine of information and will go out of his way to make you comfortable in your purchase and any questions you need answered.

marl

j-gens

planted tank junkie
Dec 8, 2008
maumee, ohio
i do not think that discus hans breeds... he has mating pairs that he sells and imports the juvies.. but i do not think that he raises the young to sell... dont quote me on that...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store