clowns have blackish spots?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
IMG_0510.JPGhello haven't posted here in a few weeks..but i have a question. i have 2 ocellars clownfish that i have had for about 6 months or so..they are about 2 to 3 in. i have noticed about a week ago they started getting these black coloerd spot on they're bodies.. the are eating like little pigs and they swim and act normal..i was wondering why they have these spots? or is it normal for them to get these? they kind of look like age spots..any clues or answers to what this is? or has anybody seen this before?

IMG_0510.JPG

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Do you have zoanthids, Aiptasia, or anything of that sort in your tank? The spots and normal behavior are consistent with little melanisms that pop up from contacting relatively potent (or different, maybe unaccustomed) stinging cells. They are, fortunately harmless and temporary (though if the source of the problem is still there, they may continue to have them).

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
yes i do have 2 corals in the tank..one is a zoanthids and the other is a green star polly..but they are on the other side of the tank from where the clownfish seem to stay..so you say the spots are harmless?.. i didn't know if they were age spots or just part of they're coloring as they mature...

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
The pair of naked clowns I have in my office tank have those same type of spots. They are normal from everything I've heard, for the very reasons that Amphi stated.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Wondering if spots are still there. Seen and eradicated such black spots on surgeons but never on clowns.

scottdwh

Da Bears
Oct 10, 2002
Visit site
Do you have zoanthids, Aiptasia, or anything of that sort in your tank? The spots and normal behavior are consistent with little melanisms that pop up from contacting relatively potent (or different, maybe unaccustomed) stinging cells. They are, fortunately harmless and temporary (though if the source of the problem is still there, they may continue to have them).
Spot on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store