Went to my first auction...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcybyk

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
The local Akron club had an auction yesterday so I decided to go and check it out. All in all, a good time, and boy can you find some deals. For $20, I purchased a 20 gal. tank, a wrought iron stand that will hold the 20 plus another 20 or 29 gal. tank, java moss, a yellow-top afra and a haplochromis "thick skin" red tail. Now, here is my problem - I was looking for peacocks, mbuna and haplochromINES and due to my inexperience purchased the haplochromIS, which is from Lake Victoria. My dilema now is whether or not to keep him. He is what appears to be about a full size male and after 1 day has kept to himself. But after reading a little about these guys and hearing that they are extremely agressive makes me wonder if I should pull him out of the tank or just wait to see. Aside from no longer having a mixed malawi tank, any other problems with keeping this guy?

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I want to clarify this first:
Haplochromines (haps) is the general name given to all the cichlids belonging to a few scientific genera, including Haplochromis and its related group of different genera; such as Protomelas, Copadichromis, etc. We know many species of this large tribe from Lakes Malawi and Victoria; but it is interesting to say that recent studies are demonstrating that the origin of the haps is Lake Tanganyika; even though there are no members of this tribe in this lake at present times.
That being said, you bought a beautiful aggressive hap from Lake Victoria. If your Malawi cichlids are not of his aggression level, IMHO you should remove him. What is your actual stocking list in that tank?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I somewhat agree with efors but i really don't understand where he is coming from but yeah what efors said.. LOL

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I hope you are not confused Pitt... because I'm! (not really)
Well mcybyk, maybe you should just watch him carefully. If he is now your most aggressive fish, he was added as the last one in the tank; which is what you are supposed to do with aggressive species: add them last, after the less aggressive species. So, watch him and be ready to remove him if aggression issues arise.

mcybyk

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Thanks for the educational information Efors - it is much appreciated and I don't feel as dumb as before in my selection.

Although I was very excited upon purchasing this lovely fish, I believe my concerns were misplaced, as I am finding that this particular member of the Thick Skin species is not nearly as aggressive as my mbunas. My stock list, which is in my signature, appears to be kicking the snot out of him. Where I thought he was doing o.k., upon coming home from work today I find that he is pretty beat up and I am going to look to place him at my lsf tomorrow afternoon to see if he can be saved. By the look of him, he did not have a good day after all. The afra, on the other hand, appears to be doing fine.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
^ LOL efors i am confused..

It was probably the Ngara that beat him up..

Last edited:

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Thanks for the educational information Efors - it is much appreciated and I don't feel as dumb as before in my selection.

Although I was very excited upon purchasing this lovely fish, I believe my concerns were misplaced, as I am finding that this particular member of the Thick Skin species is not nearly as aggressive as my mbunas. My stock list, which is in my signature, appears to be kicking the snot out of him. Where I thought he was doing o.k., upon coming home from work today I find that he is pretty beat up and I am going to look to place him at my lsf tomorrow afternoon to see if he can be saved. By the look of him, he did not have a good day after all. The afra, on the other hand, appears to be doing fine.
You are welcome, my friend. I'm sorry about what happened to that nice Victorian hap. And yeah, now I see you have a few aggressive mbunas in that tank; that have established territories for sure. Sorry this suggestion is late, but maybe it could be a good idea to have rearranged the rockwork before adding him.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
^ LOL efors i am confused..

It was probably the Ngara that beat him up..
Confused, why? Don't confuse me too!!!
I'm really thinking that the culprit is M. estherae. That Vic is yellow with orange red tail. Maybe the zebra saw some similarity in him.

mcybyk

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
You are welcome, my friend. I'm sorry about what happened to that nice Victorian hap. And yeah, now I see you have a few aggressive mbunas in that tank; that have established territories for sure. Sorry this suggestion is late, but maybe it could be a good idea to have rearranged the rockwork before adding him.
Rockwork was changed around some, and the lights were left off until I got home tonight, just as I have done in the past with other additions. No worries though. I continue to find that with mbunas, they are unpredictable and can be, as I believe Coler would say, little buggers.

The Ohio Cichlid Extravaganza is coming up in a few weeks, so I will hopefully be able to find some nice additions to try there as well.

mcybyk

AC Members
Jan 9, 2008
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Confused, why? Don't confuse me too!!!
I'm really thinking that the culprit is M. estherae. That Vic is yellow with orange red tail. Maybe the zebra saw some similarity in him.
From watching the tank this evening, it looks like it was the lab exasperatus and my acei that were paying the most attention to him. Plus the zebra did join in some as well. I'm thinking it may have been mob mentality, since the Vic was the largest fish next to the exasperatus.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store