Air flow question?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
Hey all, you've probably seen my mudskipper tank, the top is completely sealed and the tank is very humid. My concern is that there is no air flow at all in the tank. So I made a fan for the inside of the tank for some air flow. The fan is a computer fan which I wired to an cell phone charger. The fan works great, would it be beneficial to add to the tank? What are the pro's and con's or having it in there. There is a place on the front right corner of the tank, "waterside" where I can mount the fan. I did a test run and it works great, but just want to know what your thoughts are for having one in the tank or not. Thanks,

Rythic

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
as long as the fan doesn't cool things down too much, and you've checked to make sure the home wiring job doesn't have any problems, i'd say try it. keep an eye on the tank temperature!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The biggest con I see is that it will decrease the humidity in the tank.

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
The biggest con I see is that it will decrease the humidity in the tank.
Ya I'm keeping an eye on that to see how much it decreases. I don't have the fan in there right now, I'm going to put it in tonight to see how much it affects the humidity. The fan isn't pushing out a lot of air, I can put my hands 3 inches away and can barely feel it blowing so I think it will be just enough to not mess anything up. But I will keep track with and without the fan to see how it does.

rustyfan21

AC Members
Oct 9, 2008
I would be suprised if the fan lasted more then a week. a PC fan was not made for that humid of an enviroment. I will probably stop running after awhile. But stranger things have happened before. good Luck

Rythic

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
I would be suprised if the fan lasted more then a week. a PC fan was not made for that humid of an enviroment. I will probably stop running after awhile. But stranger things have happened before. good Luck
This is merely an idea I had, so I wanted to put it to the test to see if it would work. You may be right about the fan dying, but if it does work, I think it would be very beneficial. I just had the extra fan and old phone charger laying around, so this is a free experiment. :D Do you have any idea's on what other fans would be good for a more humid environment?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you want the fan to last place it so it blows in. It will move the same amount of air, but the air going across the electrical guts will be relatively dry air from the room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store