help! snail in my new shrimp tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikefung

AC Members
Oct 27, 2009
just found a small snail on my new tank.... is it dangerous? thanks

Last edited:

mikefung

AC Members
Oct 27, 2009
its still small and transparent body, hope to get rid of it as soon as i see it again, i tapped the glass and it fell, now i cant find it... are those kind of snails beneficial to my aquarium like eating algae and stuff? im just afraid it might hurt my shrimps

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
They won't bother your shrimp at all. The only way I see that they could is if their population got out of control and they out competed the shrimp for food. They are beneficial in an aquarium. They eat left over food, some algae, and and dead plant matter. The best way to control the population is to not over feed your tank.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Be carefull- is it small and round? If so it could be a blood-snail. These snails like to feed on blood.

If you stick your hand into your tank and feel a small prick contact your doctor immediately- they burrow into your skin leaving no noticable mark and feed and replicate within your blood stream. It only takes a split second- a quick prick and they're in.

Symptoms include sleepyness at night, lack of desire to go to work, and hunger when you smell freshly baked bread or bakery products.

If you have any of these symptoms you may already be infected- call your doctor immediately- they double in numbers every hour once they have a fresh source of blood.

Kidding most likely the snail is harmless. The worst that can happen is it reproduces like crazy and the baby snails everywhere is an eye-sore. Most snails clean up excess food, eat algae/biofilm and do more good than harm.

A number of species will eat plants- but most will only go after dead or unhealthy plants.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
just found a small snail on my new tank.... is it dangerous? thanks
you have a lot more than just one snail....trust me....
these snails are fine to have...they will overpopulate if you overfeed your tank....make sure to feed appropriately and you will be fine.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I find snails in a dedicated shrimp tank to be less than helpful. they compete for food, create extra load, and breed way faster than shrimp. if you can start trapping them now, you'll be better off. if you haven't added shrimp yet, you might consider getting a single assassin snail and letting them do their thing for a while, and then remove it before adding shrimp.

Conski

AC Members
May 8, 2009
the time spent typing out that long sarcastic blood snail paragraph was comical yet so unnecessary

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
the time spent typing out that long sarcastic blood snail paragraph was comical yet so unnecessary
I don't know... I find a joke now and then is a good stress relief for me- and hopefully for others and the Original poster. It's necessary for me to maintain my sanity.

GuppyMan

AC Members
Nov 9, 2008
New Jersey
Real Name
Trevor
Symptoms include sleepyness at night, lack of desire to go to work, and hunger when you smell freshly baked bread or bakery products.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::clap: HAHAHAH! :clap::laugh::laugh::laugh: Tooo funnnyyyy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store