Upgrading Filter...new filter media required...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Istanbul_Kop

AC Members
Aug 28, 2008
Liverpool, UK.
Gonna be adding a new filter to my tank.

I currently have 2 filters already but will be upgrading the weakest of the two to something much more powerful.

The filter I am changing has 2 litres of bio media, the new filter will hold 6 litres.

Is it ok to add the fully cycled two litres along with 4 litres of brand new filter media in the new filter? Will this cause any problems, if so...what do I do?

Cheers.

bghill

AC Members
Jan 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
That's what I would do and have done in the past. Just combine your old media with your new.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Question - would this be a better idea than running side-by-side as I am planning to do with my 75 gal once the Eheim arrives? I have a little aquaclear HOB that I currently run on my 46 gal just to keep it cycled in the event that I need to set up my hospital tank. I figure it just provides added filtration to the 46 gal, though i don't technically need it on there. Anyhow, I am planning to run it on my 75 gal while I cycle to help things along, but would it be faster to tear down the aquaclear, put the media into the eheim, run it until my levels are right, and then take the media back out of the eheim and set the aquaclear back up?

Just curious - this question made me think. :D

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Question - would this be a better idea than running side-by-side as I am planning to do with my 75 gal once the Eheim arrives? I have a little aquaclear HOB that I currently run on my 46 gal just to keep it cycled in the event that I need to set up my hospital tank. I figure it just provides added filtration to the 46 gal, though i don't technically need it on there. Anyhow, I am planning to run it on my 75 gal while I cycle to help things along, but would it be faster to tear down the aquaclear, put the media into the eheim, run it until my levels are right, and then take the media back out of the eheim and set the aquaclear back up?

Just curious - this question made me think. :D
since you're going from HOB to canister, its faster and easier just to put the old media in your canister. put it where the carbon would go

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Well I'm not getting rid of the HOB. Just borrowing it from my other tank to help seed the new filter. But I can do that - take out the media and put it in the eheim temporarily until the tank is cycled, and then put it back into the HOB. Will be a bit messier that way, but shouldn't be a big deal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store