De-Worming Pond Fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
I remember reading somewhere than pond fish tend to have parasites. I know we give our dog heartguard regularly, so I wondered if, as a responsible pond owner, I should treat my pond fish for parasites periodically. Is this necessary or reccomended? Is there any sort of regular health maintenance I should do for my fish like we do for ourselves and our furry pets? Besides the obvious of maintaining their home correctly.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I just want to be sure I'm taking good care of my scaley amigos.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
An annual deworming for internal parasites and flukes using praziquantel is not a bad idea actually. External parasites such as anchorworms though may need more than just praziquantel. I ended up treating almost 90% of my goldfish for infestations of fish lice and anchorworms, both parasites being very common in goldfish sold in my area. Dimilin is a much safer treatment for those external parasites.

PallasAthena

AC Members
May 17, 2009
That's really good info Lupin. Thank you. Would those treatments nuke my biological filter? I wouldn't think so since they are anti-parasitics instead of anti-biotics, but I want to be sure. Cycling the pond is a job and the last thing I want to do is to have to go through that again!

I wonder if parasites would be even more prevalent in my area since there is no winter. I would think that a few months of cold weather would knock parasites back just like with fleas and ticks, but we don't freeze at all in Coastal California. Not even close! So I wonder if it would be something that, as a Californian, I would definitely want to stay on top of.

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
Clean water and good quality foods will go along way in the health of the fish. I like to mix a medicated pellet in my summer mix of chow as a prevent defense. Good point on the freezing conditions, would like to know the scientific answer to that since colder water temps. allow the immune system to slow down too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store