african cichlids...infection? redish heads..., noticed my fishes heads redish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Kid

Registered Member
Oct 8, 2009
ok, 75 gal tank,i keep up on water changes. i had put a new fish in the tank recently (a blue pindani), he seams real healthy,he still does, but i noticed where his fins conect to the sides of his body were redish - dunno if its anything...anyhow, i puled hi and put him in the hospital tank. i noticed another fish whos head had a redish tint to it (not sure the name of the fish, im in the philippines at the moment and they seem to have their own names for fish here,but they r african cichlids). next i noticed my johani's head was a lil redish...so i pulled all my small africans out of the tank, put them in the hospital tank with tetracycline.

i still have my frontosa in the tank - he didnt look affected by anything, and a firemouth - also a texas/convict/green terror (but they r in "ad seg" at the moment) till i figure out what to do with them, they dont look affected either- i did a magor water change in the main tank...

my question: what is it? like i said, it really only looked like their heads were getting a reddish tint,and 2 of thems side fins,where they attached looked redish...? (now i know tht a few of the fish fins r red,where they connect to the body) i read up a bit on different disease & didnt see anything that really matched up with tht...

thanks for any help!

Firey rosetail

Fiery Rosetail
Nov 5, 2009
Ive been trying to diagnose HLLE and the Hole in the head disease... All I know is that cichlids and OScars are the ones pictures as if they are the ones soley prone to the flagyl-remedied and or the HLLE, conditions bacteria.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Mixture of rift valley cichlids with south American cichlid?

I have not seen hole in the head on Africans yet personally since never mixed with SA Cichlids. Hole in the head more often seen with SA Cichlids.

Wondering condition of water. pH, NH3, NO2?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
it would be helpful to us if you posted a complete testing of water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc).

I think the redness is due to a bacterial infection of some sort, that the new fish probably brought in with him. i have no idea why it is affecting only certain fish and certain areas on those fish though. a very good reason to quarantine new fish for at least 4 weeks.........

if it were my tank i'd be doing daily water changes to keep things as clean as possible, and test your parameters often, just in case it is something amiss with the tank that is the cause. what is your tank temperature? bacteria thrive in warmer water and by keeping the tank a lil cooler than usual it may help matters if this is a bacterial problem. you don't want to make it too cool that the fish are uncomfortable though, since stress is a precursor to disease.

i'll keep my 'finners' crossed that you stop seeing red soon!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store