ropefish and lobster?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Weebis

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
well im planning what i want in my tank and i really want a blue lobster & ropefish...i know lobsters will go after small fish, but would it go after a bigger ropefish? lobster i have my eye on is only 4 inches right now and the ropefish in about 6-7 inches at the moment..

i dont want holyfield vs tyson on the bottom of my tank

from what i have read, the parameters for both are close

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Not a good combo. Ropefish like to lie around on the bottom, which makes them much more vulnerable to the crayfish. As the ropefish gets larger, he will in turn become a threat to the cray, especially when the cray is freshly molted.

Weebis

AC Members
Oct 29, 2009
yeah i pretty much expected / knew this answer...

i guess i was just hoping i was wrong...lol

jakedc3

AC Members
May 17, 2010
arvada, co
i think it depends on the personality of both, in my community 55 i have a2 inch blue lobster in with a black cooli, a reg. cooli, and a whiptail catfish, all bottom dwellers, as well as a small AFD (african dwarf frog), with no problems at all. the lobster digs around and the frog hangs out in his burrow when he isn't home, but they never fight or nip. i got the lobster last out of that list, and he estabished a few territories, but he isn't real protective.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I have 2 ropefish in with my cray. I often see them both sitting right underneath the cray, literally...It really all depends on the cray, and what your feeding schedule is like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store