way too many MTS. how do i get rid of them?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
im tired of my Malaysian trumpet snails making such a mess of my nice white sand. apart from taking all the sand out of the tank and sifting through it, what options do i have?

feiyang

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
reduce your feeding.
take out the adult ones to slow down their repro spped
introduce assasinate snail.

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
do you wnat to remove ALL of them, or jsut start some population control? MTS are great for keeping hte sand sifted and cleaning up debri. And easy way to deal with them is put some food in after the lights have gone off, give htem a little time and then when they all converge on the the food, scoop them out. You'll still have some, but you'll remove a ton of them and then you can sell them on here or aquabid.

Bravofleet4

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
you start selling them in bulk :p. Seriously people pay for these things. I paid for an initial number and I think they're great for the reasons everyone gets them.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
To reduce there numbers reduce the ammount of food being provided to them. I am currently over feeding my tanks to increase there numbers but when I got it where I want it ill just reduce my feedings. If you want a complete removal then a sand sifter is best rather then assasin snails which after done eating all the mts would need to be sumplemented with some other type of food.

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
well iv got 2 banjo catfish and 3 spiny eels so my sand is pretty well sifted as it is. id kinda like to get rid of all the snails. i do over feed them. its a result of feeding the eels and the banjo kittens, ill just dump in a thawed cube of bloodworms or something at night so there's plenty of little food pieces laying about here and there. i suppose i could just bait them, stick a leaf of lettuce in there and wait till morning to pull it out with all the snails. it might take me repeating that a few times to get most of them but its a better option than chemicals. thoughts?

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Chemicals will kill your snails- will not be 100% healthy for the fish.

Dead snails = sudden burst of ammonia.

Imagine the entire mass of all your snails... killing snails with chemicals will get 'em all- but imagine if you dumped in as much food as you have total mass snails.

Worse- that food was buried under the sand so it would rot- not get picked up by gravel vacs/water changes. Snails are, organic matter after all... that's what you'd be doing the equivalent of to your tank...

... also there is some concern that your tank would stay "toxic" for any inverts you may choose to house in the future for some time to come due to Copper embedding itself in the tank sealents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store