Thinking About Doing a Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
I just purchased a new 10-gallon tank, stand, heater, substrate, etc. After I get my new tank cycled, I'm probably going to house my betta in it. This will leave his 3-gallon tank empty, except for some Malaysian trumpet snails. I'm thinking of doing a shrimp tank, but know nothing about shrimp. Is a 3-gallon large enough to do shrimp? If so, how many do I start with and what kind? I like the look of red cherry shrimp, but I'm not sure if I can get them at my lfs. I think I've seen ghost shrimp there, but I'd like more color if possible, unless ghost shrimp have great personalities (whatever that means). Any input, encouragement, and/or suggestions will be most welcomed.

BTW, this 3-gallon tank is well established, being home to Travis since at least March of this year, if not before. I do a 25 - 33% water change at least twice a week, so I'm pretty disciplined when it comes to maintenance.

Thanks in advance for your help. :1zhelp:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
a 3g is certainly enough room for shrimp. They do reproduce readily, but you could always try some adults in with travis. he would readily eat the babies, but adults would be fine. As for what type, that depends on your water chemistry. Do you have any idea about your pH or hardness? What temp do you keep the tank? Is it at all planted?

Cherries are usually an excellent choice for a first shrimp as they are relatively hardy and undemanding as long as the tank stays stable.

I would cover the filter intake with something like a prefilter (sponge or pantyhose). the rough estimate for stocking shrimp is 10 adults per gallon. I usually recommend people start with somewhere around 10 shrimp.

you can find a wide variety available on the classifieds here as well.

Good luck! Shrimp tanks are really fun!

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
Thanks, msjinkzd. I have extremely soft acidic water (pH usually around 6.6 - 6.8; KH 2 - 3; GH 1-3), because I use DI water exclusively. (The building where the tank is was built in 1937 and the plumbing is original. I tested the tap water with my API masterkit and the amonia and nitrite levels were toxic to humans, much less aquatic livestock.) In any event, I could treat the water to raise the pH and hardness (but would prefer not to; maybe I could add a sea shell or some limestone rock.) Yes, the tank is planted. At the moment it has a rear wall of wisteria, several java ferns, some java moss, one anubias and a couple of anubias sprouts, anacharis and a crypt. Because Travis is such a tropical dude, I keep the temp at 80 degrees F for him; however, I can modulate temp as needed.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Thanks, msjinkzd. I have extremely soft acidic water (pH usually around 6.6 - 6.8; KH 2 - 3; GH 1-3), because I use DI water exclusively. (The building where the tank is was built in 1937 and the plumbing is original. I tested the tap water with my API masterkit and the amonia and nitrite levels were toxic to humans, much less aquatic livestock.) In any event, I could treat the water to raise the pH and hardness (but would prefer not to; maybe I could add a sea shell or some limestone rock.) Yes, the tank is planted. At the moment it has a rear wall of wisteria, several java ferns, some java moss, one anubias and a couple of anubias sprouts, anacharis and a crypt. Because Travis is such a tropical dude, I keep the temp at 80 degrees F for him; however, I can modulate temp as needed.
With water that soft, you would be better suited and m ore likely to have success with caridina species. Bee, crystal reds, tiger, zebra, etc would all be good choices. Teh bad news is they are more expensive.

If you wanted to start with a less expensive neocaridina species (like cherries, yellows, snowballs, etc) you would ideally want to buffer your hardness up to at least 6 with 8-10 being more ideal. You could do this with crushed coral or baking soda (baking soda would have to be added at every water change). I often think its best to work with your parameters rather than try to adjust them especially since shrimp are not very tolerant of shifts in params. The caridina really prefer cooler temps though, usually low 70's so you may no longer require a heater in that tank if you go that route.

If you were not worried about having shrimp that would reproduce, you could try something like green lace shrimp. They are a fan filter shrimp which stay relatively small (2") and would like your water. They are low order breeders, so would no reproduce.

Another option would be amano shrimp. They are also loworder breeders. What is nice about them though is that they will not hybridize with other species if you decide to try them as well.

Just post up if you have any other questions. Shrimp can really be very rewarding to keep!

lookit

AC Members
Jun 9, 2009
OK
Many, many thanks, Msjinkzd. :thumbsup: You've really piqued my interest in shrimp. With the information you supplied, I can begin my research in earnest. I know you sell fish and shrimp, so I'll be checking the AC classifieds to see what's available. OOOOH, I'm so excited! Thanks, again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store