10 gallon invert tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tetrastripe2

AC Members
Oct 4, 2009
Hello, I am new to saltwater and just started doing some research. I would like to do an invert tank, is 10 gallons big enough?
If so, I would like to have live rock, hermit crabs, and snails, or a single mantis shrimp if the tank is large enough?
What kind of lighting and equipment would i need? How much live rock should i get?
Sorry if this is overwhelming. I will continue research as soon as I post this.

Last edited:

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
yes, a 10 gallon tank is big enough for a lot of marine inverts, including many smaller species of mantis

keep in mind that mantis shrimp are skilled killers, a smasher could easily take out a snail or hermit crab. but they are weird in that they might eat one creature and ignore the rest. my mantis shrimp is lazy, he only likes crabs and hermits and whatever fish he can ambush, he wont try to crack open a snail or chase a ghost shrimp.

lighting is really immaterial, very stong light only really matters when keeping corals or anemones, any of the saltwater algae desirable in marine tanks will grow under standerd lighting

Tetrastripe2

AC Members
Oct 4, 2009
What should I feed my mantis shrimp?
I'll probaly attempt to have him with some blue leg hermits and a few snails, would I have to supplement their diet with anything? I think i read dried seaweed is good if you don't have enough algae.

Tetrastripe2

AC Members
Oct 4, 2009
What kind of crabs, shrimp ect.? Or would they just be labled as 'feeders' or something?
and how often should i feed?
Again, I'm sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around this after so many hours of researching freshwater creatures.

and Thanks for that link, it has been really helpful.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
at a marine shop i go to, they have a tank with feeder shrimp, along with the various crabs, snails, and fish that get caught with the shrimp. i usually get get a few shrimp and crabs to feed him. but if you dont have a store that has SW feeders, they will be fine eating whole frozen seafood, whether the brands specifically for fish or all natural food meant for people

like i said, mantises prefered diet varys from individual to individual, i can just drop a crab in the tank and he'll find and kill it, but he ignores shrimp that arnt dead or secured. iv got like 5 feeder shrimp as a clean up crew in the tank. once you have a mantis you can experiment with what he will like

i feed mine every other day, usually with a piece of thawed scallop or silverside

lol, i like questions, most everyone here at AC does too. ask all you want :D

Tetrastripe2

AC Members
Oct 4, 2009
What about freeze dried foods?
I have no problem with live/frozen foods, I just want to know all my options :D

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
iv never tried it, but i think my mantis would go for a freeze dried krill. and since hes so used to the tongs i feed him with a large pellet would probably work too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store