My african dwarf frogs have white spots HELP!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

emoalysha

AC Members
Nov 6, 2009
Hello people i had 2 african dwarf frogs they were put in a tank with 2 platys sometimes when i fed them it went near one of my frogs and the platy bit my frog !.About 3 days later my frog kept floating to the top and wouldnt eat then white spots appeared on her i dont know what they are around 2 hours later i check on them and shes dead!I dont know how it happened!?Now i have one frog left hes still alive right now but hes not eating and hes not active yesterday when i checked on him he had 2 white spots on him and now today he has 4 and is getting sick!PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO I DON'T WANT HIM TO DIE!HE'S MY ONLY ONE LEFT AND I LOVE HIM!HELP ME!AND TELL ME HOW TO CURE HIM OR WHAT HE HAS!!!!!!!?????PLEASE!:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Please describe the spots. Can you take a picture? I'm so sorry for your loss and I sincerely hope your other frog will be OK.

Quickly, though, give a detailed description of the spots and his appearance. Is he bloated? Is he curled up or kind of hunched, or are his arms and legs outstretched? Does he have any redness of his legs or anywhere else? Does there appear to be any fluffy filmy stuff on him anywhere? What temperature is the tank?

I hope we can help your frog, please provide as much information as possible, and the best thing would be some pictures.

I'm hoping and wishing the best for your poor little froggie.

emoalysha

AC Members
Nov 6, 2009
Umm im gonna take some pictures tmr if he's not dead!.ok and then yes he has a whole bunch of white flacky stuff all over his body. i thought it was just dirt and nope hes not bloated or curled.:frog::frog::frog::frog: PLease help me!

emoalysha

AC Members
Nov 6, 2009
ohh yah when i bought my frogs from my moms work Pet CETERA EDWARD WICH IS THE BOY I have now whos still alive had red legs and still does but i dont think thats affecting him.and i feed him bloodworms.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
How long have you had him Alysha? Red leg is a disease of frogs. It is an infection and is serious. There is also a fungal infection that is common to frogs.
Is he floating, swimming some, or staying on the bottom of the tank?

Could the flakey stuff be debris from the tank?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Here is a link that describes Red leg in frogs. Several different bacteria are considered to be responsible for the illness, and an antibiotic is needed to treat it, if it is Red leg.

http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/doctor/redleg.html

He needs to be isolated from the fish, and don't add any more frogs to the tank. Whether bacterial or fungal, this is most likely very contagious and would infect any other frog you introduce to the tank.

Also, he needs to be away from the Platys, both for their safety and for him, too. The fish may pick at him and try to eat him.

emoalysha

AC Members
Nov 6, 2009
Ive had them for about a month and he floats to the top and stands against the tank my mom thinks it's fungus or a wound she mgiht eb right she works at a pet store and thankyou!:D anymore information will be great pictures might be up by tmr. maybe:feedback::help2: can u give me some links to websites to pictures of frogs with the spots on them?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Here's another link with some good information about ADFs.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/frogs-turtles/africandwarffrog.php

As soon as possible post some pics.

Do you see any signs that the frog is bloating? Swellling of the belly?

If this is a bacterial then your mom could probably get some tetracycline for him tomorrow. If it is fungal, there may be a possibility to save him, but there is a really bad fungus that affecting frogs all over the world, including those in captivity kept as pets.

Pics will help, when you are able to post them. Here's another link about ADFs.

http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id18.html

Make sure his water is very clean. Do water changes to get rid of toxins in the water. Is he in a tank with a filter? You need to get a reading on the water parameters in his tank: ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, ph, temp.

Test strips are very unreliable and most often inaccurate. As soon as possible, if you don't have this already, you need to get a liquid test kit to check on those parameters. Also, what dechlorinator are you using in his tank?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
I'm sorry Alysha, but I have to get some sleep. I have to get up early. I hope your little friend makes it through the night. He really needs to be separated from the Platys or they will pick at his sores and really make him miserable, if not outright kill him.

I'm wishing the best for you. I'll check on you and George in the morning.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
How is George? I hope he's still hanging in there. Please give us an update. Best wishes for your little frog.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store