Dwarf Gourami with Hole-in-the-Head??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Begin new illness thread...

I noticed today that my dwarf gourami has a deep lesion on his head above his eyes. It kind of looks like hole-in-the-head to me, but I'm not very familiar with all flavors of freshwater illness yet, so not sure.

He's acting healthy and eating. Tank params are NH3=0, NO2=0, NO3=15-25. He's in a 20g long with 7 zebra danios, 6 julii cories, and a few odd mystery snails. I've had him 4 months now.

Here are some pics. Can someone please help me confirm a diagnosis and suggest a treatment???

sick dg 1.JPG

sick dg 2.JPG

Thanks!

sick dg 1.JPG sick dg 2.JPG

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Based on what I've read I'm think about just adding some table salt for now to stimulate slime coat growth and see if the little guy can fight off whatever is causing the wound....

Yes? No? Other thoughts?

fabiobruno

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
Bristol (UK)
Real Name
Fabio Bruno
Based on my recent experience (gourami infected wound thread) I'd also add some antibacterial... dwarf gourami seem to be very susceptible to diseases.
Any recent change on your tank?

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
I've added a 50/50 light recently, and a few new plants. I feel like the wound may have started a while back and I'm just now noticing it, so I'm not sure when it actually started.

I read through your illness thread -- sorry you lost your gourami. I'm having a lot of trouble sifting through all of the different recommendations out there, but I've read some posts that Melafix + Pimafix is a good treatment for treating / preventing infections. I picked up these items, so will probably start a treament cycle tonight.

I don't think I've seen any posts about salt helping with infections, so I'm now planning on NOT dosing any salt...

Appreciate any comments from folks out there.
Thanks!

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Ok, removed carbon, dosed with 10 mL Pimafix and 10 mL Melafix....no immediate changes -- we'll see how things look tomorrow.

fabiobruno

AC Members
Oct 3, 2009
Bristol (UK)
Real Name
Fabio Bruno
Yep, Lucy didn't make it but maybe because I treated as a fungus a bacterial infection.... Using a pinch of salt and the interpet anti bacterial (I guess equivalent to Melafix) is doing the trick for the male gourami :)

Apparently a small amount of salt is useful for a lot of things, in your case would prevent fungus to form on a wound, would help against osmosis issues (possible with open wounds) and in general would reduce the stress.

But again I'm not an expert, my opinion is just based on my recent experience and on a bit of reading.... I'm sure there are plenty of people in this forum better qualified to give you suggestions.

Guys! Anybody there?

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
I'm not experienced with HITH, but I've seen pictures. The first pic is really difficult, but the second one tells a bit more, to my eye. Do you have anything in the tank that he may have bumped into, that could have caused an injury?

There seems to be redness, and a raw look in the second picture. The photos I've seen of HITH don't have a raw, or skinned look. Just a pitting of the area, with no redness. I'm certainly not an expert and I hope someone else will be along that knows more about HITH.

Your parameters indicate the water quality is good, but what kind of testing equipment do you use, strips or liquid test kit?

I would step up your water changes to make sure the water is pristine and watch for signs of infection. If you use test strips it is advisable to get the liquid testing kit.
Strips can give false readings.

It would be helpful if you could get better photos. I hope your Gourami will be OK.

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
Thanks for the replies all...here are some responses:

I'm using the API Master Test Kit (liquid)

I recently added a heater -- could he have burned himself on that? If so, do I need to make a change, or should I just treat the wound and assume he's learned not to get too close..?

I also have a few coconut caves and red lava rock, both of which might have some sharp edges. Should I remove all that and replace with wood and/or smoother rock?

Since it seems less likely that he has an actual bacterial or fungal infection, I think I'll just do a water change now and skip the meds.

Should I add salt? I have *all* different kinds of salt, but can't seem to find a consistent recommendation on what to use and in what percentage.

Thanks much!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store