Ick, salt and unheated tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
can you use salt without adding the heat? i have a quarenteen tank, with mollies that have ich,.. i used many days of quick cure and the grains have frayied, but now the female is swimming nose up and just had fry,.. and still not sure what she had no real grains i can see, on her (both silver mollies so can't redily see),.. but tank has no heater,.. so want to try just salt,.. but not sure how long to treat for,.. never had ich before,.. so not sure about it,..

not sure if quick cure can go bad? and not work or just how ich looks after its killed? can only see the ones in his tail and dorsel fins,.. both were swimming upright and male had started swimming regular but kinda hard to tell as his dorsel is huge,..

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
In Pa and this time of year, I am sure room temp can get lower than required water temp.

I would be more concerned with fluctuation of temp,especially with ich infestation.

Med alone can not work unless higher and steady is provided. Med is designed to target cetain stage of Ich life cycle. Unless off the body, med wont do much.

Increase the temp to fasten their life cycle and med. Raising temp to 86F should do the trick by itself w/o med.

Good Luck.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
Raising temp to 86F should do the trick by itself w/o med.
Raising the temp won't do anything by itself. While it will speed up the life cycle of the ich you still need something to kill the ich once it is off the body, heat alone won't do that.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Raising the temp won't do anything by itself. While it will speed up the life cycle of the ich you still need something to kill the ich once it is off the body, heat alone won't do that.
Steady heat alone can/will do the trick eradicating at 86F in f/w although med will def assist. Certain fish/juvies can be somewhat sensitive to ich med thus look into it before using.

Can be delicate process for certain fish/juvies. Should add aeration when doing heat treatment unless already has air stone/bubble wands..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store