annoying green water keeps coming back please help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquascaper93

Registered Member
Jun 9, 2009
CA
ok I have a 35 gallon flatback hex tank ive had it set up for about 4 or 5 months around month 2 i started getting cloudy water then it started turning green the next month, and ive been fighting this stupid green water algea bloom eversince. ive tried turning the lights of for a week or two and daily water changes it went away, then just three days ago it came back i dont really have the money for a uv sterilizer, i have about 3 watts per gallon, flourite gravel, and a diy yeast co2 injector. i was also wandering if it might be that my tank is slightly overcrowded i have 1 medium angel, 3 aussie rainbows two pearl gouramis, two clown loaches, a khuli loach, oh and a red tux platy. i have amazon sword, ruffle sword, crypt wendtii red, and rotola magenta, i have ferts but havent beeen adding them because of greenwater any help would be much appriciated, god bless.

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
i think that i'ce read that daphnia will eat it. unfortunately your fish will eat your daphnia.

maybe you can find someone that will loan you a uv sterilizer.

when you turn your lights out do you cover the tank too?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
How many bottles of CO2 are you using?

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
How long is your photoperiod? Cut back to about 2-3 hours a day. I keep mine on while I'm at home from school. It's helped a lot. Mine is on from 3-11. Get a timer also and so you'll have a constant amount of photperiod.

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
do a large water change followed by a 3 day blackout. turn the lights out, cover the tank with a blanket. no feeding, no peeking... absolute blackout. followed by another water change

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store