betta compatible

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

goldene

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Hi :) have recently got a lovely betta and would like to know what fish you can keep with them in a community tank. I did ask a while back what fish are compatible, but wanted to see what came up this time Thanks.

Last edited:

goldene

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
I do not have any tropicals as of yet, only the betta that is why I would like to know what are safe to put in togther in a 16 gallon tank. :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most tetras, cories, many loaches, and inverts will be fine with a betta. I've kept mine in with kuhli loaches, bristlenose, cories, neons, upside down cats, a spiny eel, blue tetras, and others happily. Amano shrimp and snails are good companions as well.

Avoid other labyrinth fish (ie, gouamies, paradise fish, other bettas) and known nippy fish, like barbs. Guppies are hit or miss--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
There is a number of things that will go fine with him, of course khuli loaches and cories. I know other people will disagree with me, but Tetra species. Maybe a pair of Dwarf cichlids. Female guppies, bettas generally will go after the males because of their finnage and coloration. In my experience Dwarf Gourami and bettas leave each other alone. I'd also reccomend just doing some research on the subject, find out what other people have discovered. I'm a rather limited source for this subject as my sister and I have had several male betta's living together, along with several female bettas and we had absolutely no issues with it beyond the occasional flaring at one another. I however stress I do not reccomend you try doing that, I think we just ended up getting lucky, and this was also in a 75 gallon tank where if need be they could find a place to hide, which really didn't happen, most of the time the bettas just hung out together. lol again in a 16gallon, DO NOT try to keep two male bettas together or female bettas with him.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Well, i just got a wonderful little companion for my betta in his 3 gallon tank. A little african dwarf frog! :D

It might be a little lonely having just the two of them in a 16 gallon, though.

There's a general rule of thumb with bettas and other fish- no other fish that are nippy and might bite at the betta's lovely fins, and no other fish that has long fins that the betta will get mad at (instinct to eliminate the competitor ;) ).

I will agree with what others have suggested. Because there are so many fish out there it is hard to list all the possible combinations, but what has been suggested is a good starting point.

goldene

AC Members
Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
At present the betta is in a 5 gallon quarentine tank until the 16 gallon is cycled and compatible fish have been added, if it does not work out in the community tank at least I have got the 5 gallon to fall back on, but I hope it does not come to that.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I have been successful with cories and white cloud minnows. But with white clouds you should keep the temp down to the low 70's, which will be fine for the cories and bettas. White clouds are cool water fish so this is a fine compromise temperature.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store