pine cone disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Good morning,
Woke up to see my beautiful copper colored goldfish's body has expanded and she looks like a pine cone.
What do I do? I noticed little white spots on her wen a few days ago and began feeding medicated food only. Any other treatment options. Everything I've read says this is a fatal problem. I've brought this fish back from several problems in the past, not willing to give it up yet.
Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
And, I'll post water parameters shortly since I know that question is coming.:)
Thanks.:1zhelp:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Hmmm..Could you please take photos of the "white spots" on the wen? If they look fuzzy, they're most likely wen growth which is pretty normal for wen-headed goldfish. My orandas get the white tufts from time to time indicating their wen is growing well.

If your problem is indeed dropsy, epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) bath is needed here to be able to rectify the issue.

Could you please answer this diagnostics form to cover all bases?

1. What is the size of your tank?

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.

1. What is the size of your tank?

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi. Let me see if I get all your questions answered.

1. 40 g.
2. API --- PH is 6.6; Ammonia is 0; Nitrite is 0; Nitrate is 0
3.freshwater; only goldfish; 3 fish; had them 1 year or more
Body size - 3-4 inches, not counting tail
4. Set up since January/February 2009
7. Temperature is below 72...I don't have a heater in it and it is not registering on my thermometer which has the lowest temp at 72.
8. One live plant that has been with the goldfish for over 1 year.
9. Fluval 350 and a Aqueon over the side filter (large)
11. Yes, the tank receives natural light in the a.m.; I turn the light at 7:30 am and turn it off around 8 p.m.
12. I generally vacuum 1/2 of tank substrate each week; and change approximately 1/3 of water each time as well.
13. I feed Hikari sinking goldfish pellets. And, give a little bit of brine shrimp flakes and sweet peas (only occasionally)
14. All three fish have been a bit less energetic in the past month; hiding behind the plants (I have taken several out). The female, copper colored fish, swelled up since yesterday; sitting mostly at the bottom. The boys are hanging all over her and are much more energetic.

could she be ready to lay eggs? Everyone has an appetite.

Thanks.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I'd try to maintain temperature to at least 74 degrees Fahrenheit. Get a heater to be able to accomplish this. Fancy goldfish tend to prefer much warmer water. Colder temperature makes them much more sluggish.

Are the males exhibiting white tubercles on their gill covers and front pectoral fins?

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Yes, I have a heater I can install. I did not realize they needed a heater.
The boys do have white little tubercles on their gills, I don't see them on the fins. My copper-colored goldfish, as of this morning, has a rosey tint to her skin on the sides of her body.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi, I took photos of the sick fish who looks even more swollen and red this evening. How do I upload photos?

In the meantime, should I be adding something to the water; do I take her out out of the tank and only treat her or will it be okay to treat the tank with the other two fish in it? I have Melafix on hand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store