Problem with German Blue Ram pair

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
I just got these two last Friday. I noticed that the female had this white spot on her mouth the first day or two. Now it's getting worse. The tissue around her mouth is almost all white now and a white spot is developing above the mouth, right below the eye. I tried to get pics of the female, but my point-n-shoot won't cooperate. It almost looks like dead tissue. I also noticed the male bully's the female sometimes. She seems very timid and not very active. I plan to do a water change tomorrow. Other than that any idea's?

zzyzx85

the casual hobbyist
Dec 3, 2007
OC, CA
hmmm. I'm not to keen on the illnesses but for now, I'd separate them to keep the female from being further stressed by the male's bullying.

Try getting a photo. If you're trying to get a close-up photo and it's coming out blurry, back out and get as clear of a shot as you can, then blow up and crop the photo.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
It's weird about the bullying. Sometimes they swim next to each other and other times they do their own thing. Then occasionally I see him nip at her. Maybe bullying is the wrong word, but she definitely seems timid.

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
Female was dead this morning... I'm a little disappointed. They seemed fine when I brought them home. I don't know if I did something wrong or maybe they had parasites or some disease from the get go.

The male is acting the same now. Yesterday he was exploring all over picking stuff up off the substrate and digging around. Now he's just sitting in the same spot all day. I did a water change today and moved the male to a smaller quarantine tank. When I moved him I noticed something hanging from the bottom of him. Also the same white spots are developing around the mouth and below the eyes. I wish I could supply pics. I know that would be more helpful, but unable too at the moment. I put a drop of medicine in the tank with him. Hopefully I don't wake up to another dead fish...

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
Lost the male tonight. This sucks...

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Agree, best to get GBRs from the breeder direct.
Also if you are getting them from the LFS, let them sit around in the LFS for several days and then buy them.
How are the rest of the fish doing?

jrawebb83

AC Members
Jul 5, 2009
Florida
Every one else is fine. All are highly active and happy. I guess I was just excited that the store finally go them in, so I bought them the day after they got them. Live and learn. I probably would be hesitant to try them again. I should just stick to fish that are highly compatible with my current conditions.

ponderingky

AC Members
Sep 24, 2009
Ashland, KY
I got some GBR from a breeder on another forum - they are doing great and I have my first spawn in the jar to hatch out. If you want to contact him let me know - VERY healthy and well cared for and well priced. I have read about the problems many people have had w/GBR's but these have been great.

HTH,

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store