Odd Faunus Ater Feeding Observation.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I've noticed something odd about the feeding habbits of the Faunus Ater.

They will only eat vegtables on the floor of the tank. As many times as I've had squash or zucchini clipped to the side of the tank (and they are often on the glass)- they've always completely ignored the squash. Not once touched it

On the odd occassion where the stick on clips come unstuck and fall to the substrate I always find them eating the squash.

I deliberately knocked a clip off the side this weekend... sure enough the faunus were after the squash again.

It could be some bizarre coincidence... or maybe it's just hard for them to eat something like squash while holding themselves to the glass because of their size (although my Tylos manage and they're not that much smaller).

Anyhow... just found this odd and wanted to see if others have had the same observation. Guess I need to sink my veggies now instead.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I know this is older but I just wanted to chime in about it. My Tylos will not eat veggies clipped to the side. The veggies must be laying on the floor of the tank. Only the smaller common snails and the pomacea diffussa eat from the veggie clip and the occasional nerite.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I have witnessed my Faunus eating from the side since first posting this... it took 'em a while to figure out they could but they seem to do it occasionally now.

They definately prefer eating from the bottom though rather than the side.

First month or so though- they'd ignore the food on the side- perhaps because it was more effort when you have a small foot and a great long shell hanging behind you.

My tylos have never hesitated to eat from the side... but there again, my tylos are tank-raised tylos so have probably been doing it since birth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store