Snails + Glass heater...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
Okay so it's about time for me to set up my heater in my tank now seeing as how temps outside are dropping.

Here's my question... I have some brigs in my tank who climb all over absolutely everything.

Should I be worried about them climbing on the heater, or will they just know to leave it alone?

What can I do to keep them off of it?

It's a big clunky glass heater...

any suggestions would be nice.

I just don't want to turn it on if it's going to be able to hurt them in any way.

Steverd

AC Members
Sep 10, 2005
Spokane, WA
Never had any problems with snails or shrimps with heaters in all of my tanks.

Steve

Lycanthropic

AC Members
Jun 29, 2009
Alberta
Ditto. Mine are always on the heater and no probs.

trashman

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
Mount Wolf, PA
I have seen enough snails on heaters to satisfy even the most avid invertebrates fascination. The snail would stay away if it was that hot. Will not be a problem.

My_Goldie

Part Time Ninja
Mar 1, 2009
Chandler, AZ
Real Name
Angela
thanks for the info. I figured it would just be common sense and they'd stay away if it would hurt them, but figured I would ask just to play it safe.

Never had to start a heater before in the winter, but moved into a new apt with lots of big windows and it is noticeably colder now.

brittanyd0203

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
Vienna, WV
I too have never had any problems with snails being on my heaters (glass as well). I even had a brigg who laid a huge clutch of eggs on the top of the heater (where is wasn't submerged). I also have pond snails who are ALWAYS on the heater and laying eggs on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store