bettas and dwarf gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

d1anonly22

AC Members
May 19, 2009
visalia california
so i went to petco and they had some beautiful bettas, but i have three male dwarf gouramis and will be getting a female in in a couple of days. so instead of an impulse buy i decided to see the compatability for the male bettas and male gouramis. anyone got some advice?

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
you can't keep male labrynth fish together. bettas with gouramis are like bettas with bettas, they will kill each other, and for that matter, gourami males shouldn't be kept together either. they do the same things as bettas; kill each other.

ferrettim

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Columbia, SC
i've only been keeping gouramis for a couple weeks, so I don't have much experience there, but from what i've read, it's probably not a good idea. I've kept bettas in tanks with different kinds of tetras without issue, but never luck with another betta in the tank (even females). I know everyone says not to keep male gouramis together, but I've always seen several different specimens (and species) in the same tank without issue. I assume if the tank is big enough so they can create their own territories, then it shouldn't be much of an issue.

d1anonly22

AC Members
May 19, 2009
visalia california
the issue wasn't the gouramis their fine, they leave each other be, i also have three mollies and some mosquito minnows in the take, along with tadpoles and mystery snails, and two plecos. i will have a videos posted within the hour.

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
I'd say no, just for the fact that bettas have long fins, but I've seen people have bettas and angelfish together no problem. I've always thought of angelfish to get nippy.

About keeping labyrinth fish together- It all depends on your tank and fish. I have a 30g tank with two dwarf gouramis (male and female, although the female is more aggressive than the male), and two paradise fish of an uncertain gender(they are still young). All get along fine, just a little chasing every now and again, but nothing too aggresive. No nipping, no fighting, nothing. I have them now crammed into a 10g hex with a lot less room (due to some tank problems) and they still get along great! So I don't think they ALL can't get along. There are cases of them getting along and some of them not.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Speaking from a great deal of experience with labyrinth fish (I just love them) I can tell you with full honesty that there are no hard and fast rules to apply in regards to how they get along. The only thing I would ever truly avoid is two male betta splendens together in a tank smaller than 75g. (And even then I wouldn't risk it.)

Otherwise it's really a case by case basis.

Considering your tank is relatively small, has only half of its water volume, and you've no plants and little in regards to breaking up territories, it seems risky for you to place a male betta in there with those other fish. Perhaps if you filled it up, went crazy with plants and wood, and bought a female betta you'd be doing well.

benzjamin13

AC Members
Jul 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
you can't keep male labrynth fish together. bettas with gouramis are like bettas with bettas, they will kill each other, and for that matter, gourami males shouldn't be kept together either. they do the same things as bettas; kill each other.

Not necessarily true. I have 3 male Pearl Gouramis and 1 female Pearl Gourami in the same tank and they've been together for almost a year now.

And to the OP, I haven't heard of anyone actually trying this. Just like everyone else, I've heard that the Male Betta may attack the Gourami.

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
I hope you got rid of the fiddler crabs from the first video... Second off you can see two if the male gourami going after each other in the second video. You really need to fully fill that tank too, because at 1/2 volume you may as well just be cramming everything into a 25gal. I agree that there is definately NOT enough plants/wood for anybody to set up territories much less adding another male labyrnth fish to the mix. I know there is no guarantee for behavior on fish but you want to give everybody a fair shot if something does break out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store